mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Programming

Old 2010-12-07, 05:31   #1
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

100000101011002 Posts
Default Save a piece of history!

When we were younger, we had a succession of computers, starting with the ZX-81. You know - the one with the awesome keyboard and the rock-solid 16KiB expansion thingy.

The computer we spent the most time on, years actually, was our Color Computer 3. We had the Logo cartridge and the EDTASM+ cartridge. Later on, we picked up a floppy disc drive and spent countless hours messing around with OS-9.

We are unable to find the floppy disc drive, but we still have the computer and the two cartridges. The Logo cartridge still has the book that came with it.

Troll[3-4] were using this system for a very long time, but they are now messing around Turbo Pascal on our old HP200LX.

Anyways, with our pending move to the middle of nowhere, we are purging our house of things-we-have-not-used-in-a-very-long-time. So, if you would like this awesome piece of history, PM us and we will hook you up. We only ask that you occasionally fire it up and enjoy how simple and awesome computers and programming used to be.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-07, 09:31   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

3×13×283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
When we were younger, we had a succession of computers, starting with the ZX-81. You know - the one with the awesome keyboard and the rock-solid 16KiB expansion thingy.

The computer we spent the most time on, years actually, was our Color Computer 3. We had the Logo cartridge and the EDTASM+ cartridge. Later on, we picked up a floppy disc drive and spent countless hours messing around with OS-9.

We are unable to find the floppy disc drive, but we still have the computer and the two cartridges. The Logo cartridge still has the book that came with it.

Troll[3-4] were using this system for a very long time, but they are now messing around Turbo Pascal on our old HP200LX.

Anyways, with our pending move to the middle of nowhere, we are purging our house of things-we-have-not-used-in-a-very-long-time. So, if you would like this awesome piece of history, PM us and we will hook you up. We only ask that you occasionally fire it up and enjoy how simple and awesome computers and programming used to be.

I'd love to add them to my collection of antique computers, some even older than yours. Unfortunately, shipping would be problematical so I'll have to pass on this offer.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 00:56   #3
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

22·3·17·41 Posts

We still have this awesome national treasure and our once-in-a-lifetime offer still stands!
Old 2012-07-19, 06:32   #4
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts

Quote:
Snap!
I also bought one for my 77 year old Dad, who took to programming like a duck to water. It came with a great manual.

I then got one of the first spectrums, complete with the "dead cockroach" hardware fix.
When I gave it to my 9 yearold son, the top right 8 keys were out of action. Apart from programming it, he worked out get arounds to duplicate the functions of those dead keys.
Something in the genes!

D
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 18:57   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

1167610 Posts

Quote:
Anyways, with our pending move to the middle of nowhere, we are purging our house of things-we-have-not-used-in-a-very-long-time.
Does this explain the Arkansas sender address on the button shipments? Or was that to throw folks off the scent and make them think the buttons are being sent from the Clinton ancestral home?

It seems we need to hook Paul up with this lovely lady in a cost-effective manner. Mike, is the unit physically in NC, and how bulky/heavy is it? Here is what I am thinking:

1. Figure out how much the cost to ship is to somewhere in the eastern US;

2. Find someone on the forum who lives within easy US shipping distance and who will have business in London (or taking them through there) in the coming months, and who is willing to play "friend of Paul's computer history museum" and take it with them as part of their baggage. Such a lug-gage service might be in exchange for suitable bribe of English ale or whatnot.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 19:24   #6
KyleAskine

Oct 2011
Maryland

4428 Posts

I'd be willing to chip in to get it to a good home. How much is transatlantic shipping?
KyleAskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 20:16   #7
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

22·3·17·41 Posts

We had hoped that the Smithsonian would put the computer in their collection but they balked at our request that it be "played with" at least once a year. Their loss!

The system is currently en route to a secret location in Kansas. We were approached by a forum member this morning after we posted our update to this thread. Our best guess is this forum member is either a government agent or a chronic hoarder who wishes to store examples of ancient of technology in an abandoned intercontinental ballistic missile silo.
Old 2012-07-31, 00:34   #8
bcp19

Oct 2011

7·97 Posts

Quote:
We had hoped that the Smithsonian would put the computer in their collection but they balked at our request that it be "played with" at least once a year. Their loss!

The system is currently en route to a secret location in Kansas. We were approached by a forum member this morning after we posted our update to this thread. Our best guess is this forum member is either a government agent or a chronic hoarder who wishes to store examples of ancient of technology in an abandoned intercontinental ballistic missile silo.
Oooo, I saw that silo for sale on Ebay a while back, it'd fit right in!
bcp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 00:57   #9
c10ck3r

Aug 2010
Kansas

547 Posts

http://www.missilebases.com/osagecity

$300,000 and I'll throw in the computer :)
c10ck3r is offline   Reply With Quote