chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

26·157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I standardized on Xfce many years ago and have no problems with my multi-screen Ubuntu systems.
My workstation is for work. I've been using MATE for about ten years; it's very comfortable for my workflows.

Call me an old foggy, but I'm *not* changing my window manager.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-08, 22:00   #24
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

26×157 Posts
Default Formal notice. And, thanks for wasting my time...

Ubuntu Mate has been fired!

I jumped through all the hoops. Upgraded to ubuntuMATE21.10 (as I am always reminded of by way of the cute little auto-run pop-up thing).

The last straw was when I was away from my workstation for a little while on a voice call. The screen blanker started. But seemed to be working in slow motion.

While the sun was in my eyes outside of my office, Ubuntu decided it would be a really good idea to lower the contrast on my screens as part of an animated "fade out". But, for some reason, this was taking (literally) hours.

Please forgive me for this, but FSCK me! This is almost as bad as Winblows demanding an update when the human is in front of a lot of people.

Me Human. You software stack. Do what I tell you to do, or (PLEASE) get out of my way.

Next up is FC35. I have the ISO ready to lock-and-load.
Old 2021-11-08, 22:52   #25
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

101016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
. . .
Next up is FC35. I have the ISO ready to lock-and-load.
I just upgraded my Fedora from 33 to 34. Every time I upgrade, something more annoying has been done. This time it's Gnome, going to 40 (or 41) and changing all the familiar and less troublesome left-locked hidden menu and vertical workspaces to a bottom-locked menu and horizontal workspaces. Oh, but I can "fix" it by going and getting an extension. I can also fix it by getting rid of Gnome!
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-08, 23:17   #26
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

1004810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
I just upgraded my Fedora from 33 to 34. Every time I upgrade, something more annoying has been done.
I hear you. Loud and clear.

The reason I was effectively forced to try Ubuntu as a workstation solution is because I was limping so badly along with a Fedora 33 boot set that the next Kernel upgrade would have resulted in my being unable to boot.

No joke on that.

This was a worthwhile exercise (at least, for me).

For the record... This conclusion is very subjective. I have simply personally decided that Ubuntu as a MATE workstation is not to my liking. ***WAY*** too unstable when human-facing as a workstation.

Pressing the reset button...

For me (which I will document), the next exercise will be a "fresh install" for the latest Fedora "Mate Spin".

P.S. I find it somewhat amusing that I having this conversation while I continue to rebuild so many Winblows 10 installations because they are for some reason self-destructing.

P.P.S. No joke on my P.S. Possibly statistically significant?

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2021-11-08 at 23:20 Reason: s/to unstable/too unstable/; # Like, dudes! Earth calling Canonical...