mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Gap Searches

Old 2019-11-02, 21:11   #111
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

2·1,087 Posts

1st step would be to copy the site before it goes offline.
Wayback machine from internet archives is not always thorough.
This is the top search result in Google for sure copying software:

https://www.httrack.com/

Perhaps someone has experience with that.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-03, 00:06   #112
rudy235

Jun 2015
Vallejo, CA/.

100000000102 Posts

What about the programs he must have used to verify if someone sent him a new GAP that indeed it was a correct gap And what about the emails he must still be receiving with new discoveries?

I remember he once mentioned to me he had s file comparison utility he used in the course of his updating of the tables.

When Sam Yates passed away in the early 90's his work was taken over by Pofessor Chris Caldwell of University of Tennessee at Matin and thanks to that his work lives on.

I know I am not qualified to take care of his work myself but I gladly offer all the secretarial work I can do to help anyone who would endeavor to take such a task to the best of my abilities.
rudy235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-03, 08:39   #113
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

498910 Posts

Searching for his academic papers we can see there’s one joint paper (2003) with Bertil Nyman. We can get in touch with him to understand if he had access to Nicelys tools.

Last fiddled with by pinhodecarlos on 2019-11-03 at 08:40
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-03, 08:56   #114
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3·1,663 Posts

Disregard the above, Bertil Nyman is not between us anymore.
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-03, 09:59   #115
robert44444uk

Jun 2003
Oxford, UK

2×991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy235 View Post
What about the programs he must have used to verify if someone sent him a new GAP that indeed it was a correct gap And what about the emails he must still be receiving with new discoveries?

I remember he once mentioned to me he had s file comparison utility he used in the course of his updating of the tables.

When Sam Yates passed away in the early 90's his work was taken over by Pofessor Chris Caldwell of University of Tennessee at Matin and thanks to that his work lives on.

I know I am not qualified to take care of his work myself but I gladly offer all the secretarial work I can do to help anyone who would endeavor to take such a task to the best of my abilities.
Hi Rudy

Regarding the gaps submitted since August, I have submitted three lots to Thomas's email account and of course these have not been acknowledged. I don't think there are a lot of people who update that frequently - some do so only annually.

The prime gap checking software he wrote and used is called cglp4 - see attached zip file. I used it to ensure my gaps were compliant before sending them to Thomas. He must've had an automated comparison program - although this would be relatively easy to write.

Rudy - you would be a good person to be the custodian/ secretariat. Do you have access to web page hosting?

And Robert G is right to say this needs to be automated. All that is needed is a simple upload mechanism and checking program with a web page showing the record gaps and a download facility for reports. All we need is a person to create the script. I'm a bit worried that we do not have that skill set right now amongst our small group since danaj went inactive. Maybe someone else among the Mersenneforum members can do this.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cglp4 (1).zip (235.7 KB, 77 views)

Last fiddled with by robert44444uk on 2019-11-03 at 10:02
robert44444uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-03, 14:42   #116
rudy235

Jun 2015
Vallejo, CA/.

102610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert44444uk View Post
Hi Rudy

Regarding the gaps submitted since August, I have submitted three lots to Thomas's email account and of course these have not been acknowledged. I don't think there are a lot of people who update that frequently - some do so only annually.

The prime gap checking software he wrote and used is called cglp4 - see attached zip file. I used it to ensure my gaps were compliant before sending them to Thomas. He must've had an automated comparison program - although this would be relatively easy to write.

Rudy - you would be a good person to be the custodian/ secretariat. Do you have access to web page hosting?

And Robert G is right to say this needs to be automated. All that is needed is a simple upload mechanism and checking program with a web page showing the record gaps and a download facility for reports. All we need is a person to create the script. I'm a bit worried that we do not have that skill set right now amongst our small group since danaj went inactive. Maybe someone else among the Mersenneforum members can do this.
I believe the first thing we could try is getting in touch with the persons mentioned in his obit (,,, Nicely is survived by his wife, Heidi Koring, who retired from the University of Lynchburg academic achievement center; his niece, Linda Sue Haas; his nephews, Clarence Lee Tabor and Roger Tabor; and a long time friend, Randy Sowell. and Dr. Julius Sigler of Lynchburg College).

There is a Service of Remembrance tomorrow November 4 for all who have died in the University during the past year. I could if you all agree contact them and ask them to Light a candle for Dr Nicely in the name of the Mersenneforum group during the ceremony.

Eventually, we could try naming A MINOR PLANET after Dr. Nicely. IT SHOULD NOT BE TOO DIfFICULT. I can certainly try getting the wheels moving in that direction if we all agree. And while it is not necessary to have the family blessing I believe it would be something we would have to probably clear with them at a certain point in time.
Old 2019-11-03, 14:55   #117
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

2·1,087 Posts

I have web-hosting as well as the owner of this board. I can setup a sub-domain if required. But I have very little spare time.
BTW what's up with DanaJ. Anybody know if she is ok?
Old 2019-11-03, 15:00   #118
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

87E16 Posts

Not having his Estate's written permission to host his content is problematic and subject to copyright infringements.
Old 2019-11-03, 15:02   #119
robert44444uk

Jun 2003
Oxford, UK

2×991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy235 View Post
I believe the first thing we could try is getting in touch with the persons mentioned in his obit (,,, Nicely is survived by his wife, Heidi Koring, who retired from the University of Lynchburg academic achievement center; his niece, Linda Sue Haas; his nephews, Clarence Lee Tabor and Roger Tabor; and a long time friend, Randy Sowell. and Dr. Julius Sigler of Lynchburg College).

There is a Service of Remembrance tomorrow November 4 for all who have died in the University during the past year. I could if you all agree contact them and ask them to Light a candle for Dr Nicely in the name of the Mersenneforum group during the ceremony.

Eventually, we could try naming A MINOR PLANET after Dr. Nicely. IT SHOULD NOT BE TOO DIfFICULT. I can certainly try getting the wheels moving in that direction if we all agree. And while it is not necessary to have the family blessing I believe it would be something we would have to probably clear with them at a certain point in time.
That would be nice - the candle, and a minor planet - outstanding!

On Facebook I already dedicated to his name the composite numbers between the two primes that bookend my recent huge merit discovery.

Last fiddled with by robert44444uk on 2019-11-03 at 15:06
Old 2019-11-03, 15:03   #120
robert44444uk

Jun 2003
Oxford, UK

2·991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
BTW what's up with DanaJ. Anybody know if she is ok?
Danaj is a he, and very much alive and well and living now in Thailand. Not sure he is looking at gaps at the moment.
Old 2019-11-03, 15:05   #121
rudy235

Jun 2015
Vallejo, CA/.

20028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Not having his Estate's written permission to host his content is problematic and subject to copyright infringements.
That is what I understand too.