Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2008-08-15, 17:06   #1
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

194A16 Posts
Default Georgia on my mind

I note that GWB is being his usual concialatory self.
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 20:34   #2
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

2D9A16 Posts

George Bush squares up to Vladimir Putin over Georgia
Quote:
President Bush said he had directly contacted Russian president Vladimir Putin to express his concerns about alleged violations of the ceasefire brokered earlier in the week, in particular the Russian occupation of the Georgian city of Gori, the birthplace of former Russian ruler Josef Stalin.

"We're all very concerned about the potential for a widening of the potential conflict ... a spreading of the ceasefire hostilities," Bush said in a brief statement. "In particular we are concerned about alleged Russian troop movements deep into Georgian territory, possibly even toward the southern and western borders. I consider President Putin a good friend, but I told him in no uncertain terms that any troop movements across the Georgian borders with Alabama and Florida would have dire consequences."
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 06:04   #3
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts

From where were you quoting? I find the Florida and Alabama
reference a bit far-fetched even by your esteemed(?) leader's
standards.
My thread title owes something to the Beatles' "Back in the USSR"
coincidentally (or not) 1968.
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 09:56   #4
Nekto

Jun 2008

368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
President Bush said he had directly contacted Russian president Vladimir Putin to express his concerns about alleged violations of the ceasefire brokered earlier in the week, in particular the Russian occupation of the Georgian city of Gori, the birthplace of former Russian ruler Josef Stalin.

"We're all very concerned about the potential for a widening of the potential conflict ... a spreading of the ceasefire hostilities," Bush said in a brief statement. "In particular we are concerned about alleged Russian troop movements deep into Georgian territory, possibly even toward the southern and western borders. I consider President Putin a good friend, but I told him in no uncertain terms that any troop movements across the Georgian borders with Alabama and Florida would have dire consequences."
LOL, Putin isn't Russian president
Nekto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 17:52   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

2×13×449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekto View Post
LOL, Putin isn't Russian president
Could have fooled me - perhaps someone should tell him?

To those who haven't yet figured it out, my "quote" was completely made up - a feeble attempt at humor by way of conjuring up some appropriate-sounding Bushisms for the situation. One might call this sort of thing "A Faux News Exclusive." [pronounced, of course "Fox", at least by most Americans]. I thought the references to Florida and Alabama would be a sufficient tip-off - too subtle, perhaps?

So I wonder if Russia was [or perhaps still is] planning to annex South Ossetia under the cover of a pretend-ceasefire and then present the West with a fait accompli? I found the statement by Russia's Medvedev likening South Ossetia with Kosovo to be rather, um, "curious" - last time I checked, Georgia wasn't engaged in systematic genocide in South Ossetia ... 'tis a quibble, admittedly.

And speaking of Kosovo, Russia's traditional ally Serbia must be in a diplomatic quandary in this case - they profess to be staunch allies with Russia, but have been selling arms to the Georgians, perhaps out of solidarity with a fellow country suffering for breakaway-republic woes.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 22:30   #6
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I thought the references to Florida and Alabama would be a sufficient tip-off - too subtle, perhaps?
Given our current president's reputation, it may not be broad enough for all audiences. (I'm not saying he's actually that ignorant, just that he _has_ acquired that reputation -- partly intentionally.)
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote