mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2002-09-26, 18:53   #1
Jack007

Sep 2002

48 Posts
Default Why 100 percent????

So.... I just completed my first prime search (a week or so) and I was wondering if it get to 100 percent does that mean that it was prime? I didn't think so, but you would figure after it found it wasn't prime it would quit and go to the next one.....

Never mind, I wasn't even doing the right job, I'm doing mersenne primes instead of the 10,000,000 digit plus ones..... now how do I get rid of the two Mersennes that I have got I don't want to run?
Jack007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-09-26, 19:34   #2
ebx

Aug 2002

101 Posts
Default Re: Why 100 percent????

[quote="Jack007"how do I get rid of the two Mersennes that I have got I don't want to run?[/quote]

Change your job type to requesting 10M exponents. Then unreserve the ones you dont want.
ebx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-09-26, 23:52   #3
Jack007

Sep 2002

22 Posts

Thanks, it's set up now. Now I'm going to find the FAQ's about the different stages what they mean and the memory they need, I currently have them set for 256megs of memory day and night(I have 512) that I would assume would be enuf. Looking forward to finding a prime (the prize is nice too!)
Old 2002-09-27, 23:11   #4
Jwb52z

Sep 2002

3×263 Posts

You all must have really fast computers because it takes me months to do one prime search. I have a P3 500 Mhz.
Jwb52z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-09-28, 00:55   #5
Jack007

Sep 2002

22 Posts

:D I have a P4 2.0 ghz. when the price drops I'll upgrade to close to 3.0 ghz.
Old 2002-09-28, 01:39   #6
Lumly

Aug 2002
Quebec, Canada

29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack007
:D I have a P4 2.0 ghz. when the price drops I'll upgrade to close to 3.0 ghz.
I have 3 P4 1.6A running at 2.13 at home, two exclusively do nothing but Prime95, the other is my everyday computer. Plus one other 1.6A at work which does 95% GIMPS.

And this is nothing compared to what others reading this have.

This weekend I'm going to see if mprime runs on IPCop's linux. Hope it does so my P1-0.2 can at least factor while it isn't serving my dsl connection to my other computers.
Lumly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-09-28, 03:33   #7
Jack007

Sep 2002

22 Posts

How hard is it to overclock....?
Old 2002-09-28, 04:33   #8
Lumly

Aug 2002
Quebec, Canada

2910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack007
How hard is it to overclock....?
Overclocing that particular cpu is a breeze. I could easily push them faster than what I have them running at, but I don't want to have to adjust the voltage going to the cpu upwards.

Besides, 1.6--->2.13 is nothing to sneeze at. It's all a matter of having a motherboard that can let you change the front side bus setting and buying ram that can run at those speeds. But since I bought these comptuers just for gimps and with the intent of overclocking, I made sure they were outfitted properly.

heretic has written this...

http://ws9.jobnegotiator.com/html/overclocking.html

Read it and weap :)
Old 2002-09-28, 04:34   #9
johnymccarthy

Sep 2002

168 Posts

Lumly

Do you have your P4's networked?

I have three AMD's of various speeds but only run my main m/c on Prime95 at the moment.

Is there a 'best' way to run 3 m/c's (only main m/c with internet connection, ) on Prime95?

Thanks in advance

John
johnymccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-09-28, 06:21   #10
Lumly

Aug 2002
Quebec, Canada

1D16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnymccarthy
Lumly

Do you have your P4's networked?

I have three AMD's of various speeds but only run my main m/c on Prime95 at the moment.

Is there a 'best' way to run 3 m/c's (only main m/c with internet connection, ) on Prime95?

Thanks in advance

John
There are several ways to do this. They all involve networking. The best one to use is a factor of money, knowledge, and ease of set-up.

The first thing you should know is that you are going to have to buy one network internface card for each computer. If I were you I'd buy the most common ones out there, either a Liknsys LNE100TX or a D-Link DFE530. Why? Because eventually everyone wants to try linux and these two cards can usually be set up automagically by most linux distributions. If you really don't care about linux, then any old card will do as they all will have Windows drivers.

On The Cheap

Here's what I did. I used my old Pentium computer and put two network cards in it. I set up a program called IPCop (www.ipcop.org). One network card controls the net connection to my adsl modem, the other card goes to my switch. The other computers connect to the switch as well. IPCop runs DHCP to assign IPs to all the computers on the network, it also shares out my net to all computers, acts as a firewall, and also, if you connect to the net using a modem, you can replace one of the network cards with it and it will dial out when needed.

This is the cheapest way for me cos I had most of the equipment already, but it is also the most complicated. The computer runing IPCop has to be on all the time for the other computers to use the net or even get a network address at all.

Ease Of Setup

Broadband Router

It's a box that connects to your dsl/cable modem and handles connecting to the internet and gives firewall protection. You then connect all of your 3 computers to it to share the net. In essence the router does everything described above, it's like having two network cards, a switch, and a computer all in one.

Happy Medium

If your internet computer runs windows xp it can already share the internet on a network using dhcp. You install two network cards in it, connect all computers together using a hub or switch and then use the Network Setup Wizard and bob's your uncle.

Price

Router: $100 to $150 Canadian
Hub/Switch: $30 to $50 Canadian
Network cards: $15 to $25 each
Network Cables: Varies on length. Don't make your own unless you know what you are doing.
IPCop: Free.

www.practicallynetworked.com has lots of info.
Old 2002-10-04, 21:22   #11
QuintLeo

Oct 2002
Lost in the hills of Iowa

44810 Posts

Overclocking varies *widely* - some CPUs are very overclockable (Celeron 300A/333A, Northwood Pentium IV 1.6/1.8/2.0s, K5-PR133s, Athlon XP2400+s), others don't overclock much if at all easily (Celeron 500/533 PPGA, non-Northwood P-IVs at 1.8+, K6-500s and up, K5-PR166s).

You need 4 things to overclock reliably, in addition to a CPU that overclocks well

1) Fast enough RAM.
2) Good cooling.
3) A MOTHERBOARD that works well at the FSB you want to overclock to.
4) A good stable power supply that has enough current capability to handle the HIGH wattage load (compared to normal) of the overclocked CPU.

Best bet is to usually ask someone with a machine similar to, or preferably the SAME as yours, who has overclocked it, how far they could go reliably and what it took to get there.
QuintLeo is offline   Reply With Quote