Old 2008-02-04, 22:55   #1
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts
Default In Open Projects?

I think NPLB should be moved to Prime Search Projects subforum (http://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=67). Open Projects is supposed to be for things that are short, simple problems that will take at most a few months, (src: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=5893) not indefinitely long prime searches, such as this. Also, it would make it much more visible, which would help grow NPLB.
How do we get it moved?
Old 2008-02-04, 23:01   #2
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
I think NPLB should be moved to Prime Search Projects subforum (http://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=67). Open Projects is supposed to be for things that are short, simple problems that will take at most a few months, (src: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=5893) not indefinitely long prime searches, such as this. Also, it would make it much more visible, which would help grow NPLB.
How do we get it moved?
Gary mentioned to me in a PM that he's already sent in the request to Xyzzy to have it moved. (I'm assuming that he doesn't mind my mentioning it on the forum. )
Old 2008-02-04, 23:27   #3
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×47×109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
How do we get it moved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Gary mentioned to me in a PM that he's already sent in the request to Xyzzy to have it moved. (I'm assuming that he doesn't mind my mentioning it on the forum. )

Oh blast it! You aren't supposed to be telling people stuff like this. Check with me first next time please. It was supposed to be a surprise.

NOT!!

Yes, earlier today I requested that it be moved. I suspect that it might turn into just a teensy bit bigger than a small temporary project!

Gary

P.S. I wish I could have done that in person to someone in that situation; for a minute or two anyway.
Old 2008-02-05, 02:22   #4
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

2·5·283 Posts

Hey Kids...please don't fight...lol
Old 2008-02-05, 02:55   #5
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

280616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
Hey Kids...please don't fight...lol

Oh, come on, Dad! PLEEEASE!!
Old 2008-02-05, 04:39   #6
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Shall I use my new mod privileges to stop this fighting before this thread degenerates into utter chaos?
Old 2008-02-05, 05:03   #7
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×47×109 Posts

Quote:
Shall I use my new mod privileges to stop this fighting before this thread degenerates into utter chaos?
NO, NOT THAT!!! OK all powerful mod-person, I'll be good now. No editing of my posts to say horrible things.

G
Old 2008-02-05, 05:12   #8
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

11000011010012 Posts

Old 2008-02-05, 17:28   #9
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×47×109 Posts

LMAO. I've created a monster in this thread! OK, now back to its original intent:

It will be about a week yet before the project is moved to 'Prime Search Projects'. As was my experience with CRUS, they generally like to wait around 3 weeks to make the move.

This makes sense when you consider that there are many efforts that start out with a lot of initial interest and then die down relatively quickly.

Gary
Old 2008-02-05, 17:48   #10
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

Quote:
Hey! I did not post that!

It would have to be Xyzzy, since there's no trail left at the bottom of the post saying who edited it.

My fault, though, for giving him the idea: For those of you who hadn't seen my post before it was replaced with the "O RLY owl", I said pretty much the following (it won't be an exact replication because I'm typing it from memory!):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes
NO, NOT THAT!!! OK all powerful mod-person, I'll be good now. No editing of my posts to say horrible things.
Hey Gary, you're giving me ideas....

Nah, I'll leave that whole business up to Xyzzy.
So, I guess I brought it upon myself.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2008-02-05 at 17:50
Old 2008-02-05, 18:06   #11
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2·47·109 Posts

Quote:
Hey! I did not post that!

It would have to be Xyzzy, since there's no trail left at the bottom of the post saying who edited it.

My fault, though, for giving him the idea: For those of you who hadn't seen my post before it was replaced with the "O RLY owl", I said pretty much the following (it won't be an exact replication because I'm typing it from memory!):
So, I guess I brought it upon myself.
Now THAT is FUNNY!! Mike, you're too much!

I thought I had read your post that said something like what you stated here. But I assumed that YOU edited it to put in the funny owl.

Crazy stuff.

Gary
Closed Thread