mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Conjectures 'R Us

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-08-12, 05:42   #133
michaf
 
michaf's Avatar
 
Jan 2005

479 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
As for 10M ranges being more managable, are you referring to searching n<=25K?

If so, I also found 10M ranges to be the most managable. I still prefer to run PFGW to n=10K even though I'm sure running PFGW to n=1K is more efficient on CPU time. Although it takes more total CPU time, I don't have time for a lot of manual intervention. I have one slower dual-core machine in a corner that I just plug in a range and then totally forget it until it is done.


Gary
Yep, I was referring to 10M ranges upto n=25k.
Even if only pfgw'd to 1k, manual intervention is not very needed, the large bulk of k's is already removed. Each k left will be an hour extra work though, so I remove as much as possible.
michaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 19:20   #134
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing
 
KEP's Avatar
 
May 2005

22·241 Posts
Default

To make up for past reservations wich I either abandoned or gave up on, I've decided to give something back. Therefor I'm reserving: Sierp base 3 k>50M < k < 100M to n<=100000. Thanks for understanding. A total of 220 k's is held in the range

Also regarding Riesel base 3 k<=500M, a local power outtage has made it impossible for me to complete the range, since I can't get srfile to remove the k's already primed from the input file. If anyone would like to overtake and try to complete my incomplete work, please feel free to ask for the 25 incomplete ranges and I'll send them to you. But for now, consider it no option for me to do anything further on this Riesel range. Actually I'm getting kind of fed-up with those riesel numbers, they are more difficult than the sierpinski numbers, so in the future only expect me to work on Sierp numbers if ever going to work on anything after this reservation is completed.

Take care

KEP
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 21:44   #135
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

22×5×11×47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
To make up for past reservations wich I either abandoned or gave up on, I've decided to give something back. Therefor I'm reserving: Sierp base 3 k>50M < k < 100M to n<=100000. Thanks for understanding. A total of 220 k's is held in the range

Also regarding Riesel base 3 k<=500M, a local power outtage has made it impossible for me to complete the range, since I can't get srfile to remove the k's already primed from the input file. If anyone would like to overtake and try to complete my incomplete work, please feel free to ask for the 25 incomplete ranges and I'll send them to you. But for now, consider it no option for me to do anything further on this Riesel range. Actually I'm getting kind of fed-up with those riesel numbers, they are more difficult than the sierpinski numbers, so in the future only expect me to work on Sierp numbers if ever going to work on anything after this reservation is completed.

Take care

KEP

We were planning on running a team drive on that n-range that would run the same time as a team drive on the Riesel k=0-50M range. I guess the Riesel range is out now.

KEP, please reserve a smaller range that you absolutely KNOW that you can complete. See what Michaf is doing where he reserves a range, finishes it in a few days, then reserves another, etc.

Suggestion: Reserve k=50M-60M up to n=100K. Finish that. Reserve k=60M-70M to n=100K, etc. until you're ready to move on to something else. Thanks.

Why is Riesel base 3 more difficult than Sierp base 3? They're basically one and the same as far as searching for and finding primes. Riesel has a lower conjecture so it should be ultimately easier. The chance of finding primes on either side is going to be nearly identical. I don't understand your reasoning.

Why would a local power outage make it to where you can't run srfile to remove k's with primes? If you can't run srfile, then you certainly couldn't run srsieve and LLR on SIERP base 3 for the range you are wanting to reserve. Once again, your logic baffles me.

No need to answer the last two paragraphs as I was just pointing out a logic flaw but please respond to the paragraph asking you to reduce your reservation.


Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 09:41   #136
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing
 
KEP's Avatar
 
May 2005

22×241 Posts
Default

Reserving for Sierpinski base 3 k>100M to k<=200M. Sieving is already in progress and will continue. Reservation is made with consideration that you would like to make a TEAM drive on the k>50M to k<=100M. So my reservation is for k>100M to k<=200M for n<=100K. As we speak the 417 candidates has less than 877,000 k/n pairs remaining in the sieve file.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2010-05-16 at 08:24
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 07:43   #137
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

22·5·11·47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
Reserving for Sierpinski base 3 k>100M to k<=200M. Sieving is already in progress and will continue. Reservation is made with consideration that you would like to make a TEAM drive on the k>50M to k<=100M. So my reservation is for k>100M to k<=200M for n<=100K. As we speak the 417 candidates has less than 877,000 k/n pairs remaining in the sieve file.
Kenneth,

This is too much again!

Here is what I already have you down for:
1. Riesel base 3 for k=100M-500M to n=25K. I believe you still have a lot of work on that. You completed k<100M to n=25K a week ago and I just now started verifying that. Good work!
2. Sierp base 19 all k's to n=25K. Your status in an Email 3 days ago reported that you were at n=14.2K. This will likely take you at least another month at the rate that you currently progressing as shown in your Emails.
3. Sierp base 252 k=27 to n=100K. Currently at n=51K. A lot of work to get to n=100K!


All of these efforts have a lot of work remaining. Please finish at least one of them before reserving any more work unless you plan on purchasing several more quads in the near future. k=100M-200M to n=100M is a VERY big effort to take on by yourself. I would appreciate it if you'd let us run team efforts on the n>25K ranges. If you'd like to help us by sieving the range and then providing the file to us, that's fine but I'd really prefer that you dedicate your resources towards your existing reservations.

As I've asked many times, PLEASE reserve smaller efforts. It makes it hard to administer when people reserve things, search part of them, and then stop in the middle of them.


Thanks,
Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-09-21 at 07:51
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 10:37   #138
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing
 
KEP's Avatar
 
May 2005

96410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Kenneth,

This is too much again!

Here is what I already have you down for:
1. Riesel base 3 for k=100M-500M to n=25K. I believe you still have a lot of work on that. You completed k<100M to n=25K a week ago and I just now started verifying that. Good work!
2. Sierp base 19 all k's to n=25K. Your status in an Email 3 days ago reported that you were at n=14.2K. This will likely take you at least another month at the rate that you currently progressing as shown in your Emails.
3. Sierp base 252 k=27 to n=100K. Currently at n=51K. A lot of work to get to n=100K!


All of these efforts have a lot of work remaining. Please finish at least one of them before reserving any more work unless you plan on purchasing several more quads in the near future. k=100M-200M to n=100M is a VERY big effort to take on by yourself. I would appreciate it if you'd let us run team efforts on the n>25K ranges. If you'd like to help us by sieving the range and then providing the file to us, that's fine but I'd really prefer that you dedicate your resources towards your existing reservations.

As I've asked many times, PLEASE reserve smaller efforts. It makes it hard to administer when people reserve things, search part of them, and then stop in the middle of them.


Thanks,
Gary
Well I've already sieved the k>100M to k<=200M range to 9.1G, so I would appreciate if no one begun sieving the range all over, since that would make me loose a single cores 1½ days of work. I've no idea exactly how long it is going to take, regarding the Sierp. base 19 but I guess around 2 weeks from now. Regarding Sierp. base 252 it is most likely only 2 days of work left on the Quad, after that it will most likely have progressed (if not finished) very far with the remaining ranges for Riesel base 3 k<=500M.

Let me know what you decide, but for now sieving is stopped.

KEP!
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-22, 01:17   #139
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

241448 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
Well I've already sieved the k>100M to k<=200M range to 9.1G, so I would appreciate if no one begun sieving the range all over, since that would make me loose a single cores 1½ days of work. I've no idea exactly how long it is going to take, regarding the Sierp. base 19 but I guess around 2 weeks from now. Regarding Sierp. base 252 it is most likely only 2 days of work left on the Quad, after that it will most likely have progressed (if not finished) very far with the remaining ranges for Riesel base 3 k<=500M.

Let me know what you decide, but for now sieving is stopped.

KEP!

OK, for now I'll reserve sieving only to you on k=100M-200M for Sierp base 3.


Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2010-05-16 at 08:28 Reason: remove bases > 3
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 13:08   #140
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing
 
KEP's Avatar
 
May 2005

22·241 Posts
Default

Reserving Sierpinski base 3:

k>50M to k<=100M for n>25K to n<=100K, sieving only.

I'll sieve this range to the same sieve depth ~16G as the K>100M to k<=200M range. Once both ranges is sieved to the same depth, I will in respect of efficiency, combine both ranges and sieve the k>50M to k<=200M range in 1 file in stead of 2 files I expect the completion date to be only delayed by 2-3 days. Hope its OK, and that no one else has reserved that range for sieving

KEP!
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 14:01   #141
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing
 
KEP's Avatar
 
May 2005

22·241 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
?? You're doing it again KEP, stating different things on different days on huge efforts. On one hand, you want to reserve something to PrimeGrid level, which will be a multi-year CPU effort, and then on the other hand, you allow the fact that you have a few weeks on your current efforts to stop you? That is, to put it mildly, quite confusing.

Let me see if I have you down correctly now:
Sieving sierp base 3 for k=50M-200M for n=25K-100K.

If you need some filler work to keep your machines busy, please take something smaller; perhaps some files from the Riesel and Sierp base 3 mini-drives.


Thanks,
Gary
If it wasn't clear, I'm sorry, it all refers to some of the reasons earlier e-mailed to you. I suffered a setback this week, and also I forgot how much more work I've left. You've put my reservations right. Some status:

Sierp base 3 k=50-100M ~53G (1 k per ~24 sec)

Again I ask you to accept my appologize, it all refers to private reasons, and a matter of concentration aswell memory. Expect no more reservations (or at least just ignore them) within the next 6 months, since my intention is to wrap what is now reserved and then leave for at least a while.

Thanks for understanding, and good luck on your own challenges

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2010-01-18 at 09:01 Reason: remove bases not Sierp base 3
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 17:39   #142
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing
 
KEP's Avatar
 
May 2005

96410 Posts
Default

Reserving k=200M+2 to k=300M

Doing it this way:

1. Strict tests to n=2500
2. Sieve remaining candidates from n=2501 to n=25000
3. PRP test remaining k/n pairs untill n=25000
4. Verify the PRPs
5. Find the final remaining k's

These 5 steps is meant as timings in order for me to find the best way to tackle a several G range for Sierp base 3. Also only very few PRPs should be composite if ever anyone, since I'm going to sieve pretty high the remaining candidates.

Now a final question, how and which primes do I send? And to who should the desired primes be sent?

Regards

KEP

Last fiddled with by KEP on 2008-12-29 at 17:41
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 10:52   #143
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

22·5·11·47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
Reserving k=200M+2 to k=300M

Doing it this way:

1. Strict tests to n=2500
2. Sieve remaining candidates from n=2501 to n=25000
3. PRP test remaining k/n pairs untill n=25000
4. Verify the PRPs
5. Find the final remaining k's

These 5 steps is meant as timings in order for me to find the best way to tackle a several G range for Sierp base 3. Also only very few PRPs should be composite if ever anyone, since I'm going to sieve pretty high the remaining candidates.

Now a final question, how and which primes do I send? And to who should the desired primes be sent?

Regards

KEP
I know you know how to do this so here is all that I need:

1. All primes > 1000 or > 500; take your choice.
2. All k's remaining at n=25K.

I would prefer if you didn't remove k's that are multiples of the base. Although if you would like to, after you have tested to n=2500, forward me the k's remaining that are MOB that you think you should remove and I'll check them.

In a synopsis for MOB on this base:
Remove k's that are MOB if k+1 is composite.

I think you are going to have a lot of work reserved again. Can you give me a list of your reservations?


Thanks,
Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Riesel base 3 reservations/statuses/primes KEP Conjectures 'R Us 1090 2021-04-15 11:56
Bases 33-100 reservations/statuses/primes Siemelink Conjectures 'R Us 1682 2021-04-13 23:50
Bases 101-250 reservations/statuses/primes gd_barnes Conjectures 'R Us 895 2021-04-11 08:17
Bases 251-500 reservations/statuses/primes gd_barnes Conjectures 'R Us 2276 2021-04-08 18:12
Bases 4-32 reservations/statuses/primes gd_barnes Conjectures 'R Us 1431 2021-02-18 16:05

All times are UTC. The time now is 13:40.

Thu Apr 15 13:40:39 UTC 2021 up 7 days, 8:21, 0 users, load averages: 2.15, 2.62, 2.49

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.