mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-04-03, 15:42   #1
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

1101011101102 Posts
Default More bother

My main desktop computer started playing up. It began last summer with it being difficult to boot. Then a few days ago I had similar problems, but worse. After an update from Debian today it just would not boot. The symptoms were random instability and when I finally got to Grub I got immediate kernel panics. The BIOS would not register voltage changes nor things like XMP, even after a flash to the latest BIOS. I tried removing the battery temporarily. I switched PSUs. All no go. In the end I ordered a new motherboard for my Haswell, but it being a H81 chipset I am not sure I will get the most out of my 2400MHz DDR3.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2018-04-03 at 15:42
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-03, 15:57   #2
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

1011001111002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
My main desktop computer started playing up. It began last summer with it being difficult to boot. Then a few days ago I had similar problems, but worse. After an update from Debian today it just would not boot. The symptoms were random instability and when I finally got to Grub I got immediate kernel panics. The BIOS would not register voltage changes nor things like XMP, even after a flash to the latest BIOS. I tried removing the battery temporarily. I switched PSUs. All no go. In the end I ordered a new motherboard for my Haswell, but it being a H81 chipset I am not sure I will get the most out of my 2400MHz DDR3.
You'll be capped at DDR3-1600. Z87/97 boards are getting rare.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-04, 11:34   #3
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×1,723 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
You'll be capped at DDR3-1600. Z87/97 boards are getting rare.
I canceled my order for an H81 board and ordered a Z87 instead
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-05, 22:44   #4
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·1,723 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
I canceled my order for an H81 board and ordered a Z87 instead
I cancelled the Z87 board too. I took out the processor and put it back in and it works! It must have been a contraction-expansion problem.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-06, 01:25   #5
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

999610 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
I cancelled the Z87 board too. I took out the processor and put it back in and it works! It must have been a contraction-expansion problem.
It is always good to hear of a simple fix! Kudos!
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-21, 12:01   #6
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·1,723 Posts
Default

My Haswell system started playing up again after a scheduled shutdown. Same old symptoms -- there was rarely a signal to the video and the BIOS would not allow me to retain any settings, apart from date and time. This time I replaced the motherboard's battery and that made all the difference.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2018-06-21 at 12:02
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-21, 13:19   #7
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·1,723 Posts
Default

My dodgy Haswell+MSI board would not boot after a debian update. It was set for reclamation until this morning when I tried a nvidia 710 in it and hey presto it is back doing useful crunching. However, I wonder if the defective board will ruin the graphics card
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-21, 15:57   #8
NookieN
 
NookieN's Avatar
 
Aug 2002

2·33 Posts
Default

Were you using Intel gfx before, or a different gfx card?
NookieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-21, 16:36   #9
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×1,723 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NookieN View Post
Were you using Intel gfx before, or a different gfx card?
I was using the onboard intel graphics. The last symptoms before I put in the pcie card was no video signal but the keyboard responded to ctrl+alt+del. Even now it is not remembering its BIOS settings, apart from date.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2018-11-21 at 16:38
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-29, 17:52   #10
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×1,723 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
I was using the onboard intel graphics. The last symptoms before I put in the pcie card was no video signal but the keyboard responded to ctrl+alt+del. Even now it is not remembering its BIOS settings, apart from date.
I finally got the board working 100% after another Debian update forced a reboot, which would get to GRUB, but panicked the kernel. With the battery in I shorted the clear CMOS jumpers for 10 seconds. Now I can set the RAM to 2400MHz.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-30, 13:46   #11
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×1,723 Posts
Default

The MSI board finally gave up the ghost -- after a necessary software update reboot process -- and I replaced it with a Asus Q87 chipset one. Unfortunately, I can get the 2400MHz RAM working only at 1333MHz. Hopefully my troubles are over for a while and I can get on with crunching some prime candidates
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bother fivemack Hardware 25 2018-03-31 07:21
Why do we bother? fivemack Lounge 4 2008-01-09 17:48
Should I bother compiling ecm or go with Eleven Smooth's client? jasong Factoring 1 2006-05-22 08:24
version 23.6 - don't bother to download it Prime95 Software 72 2003-09-03 02:25

All times are UTC. The time now is 08:29.

Thu Oct 29 08:29:10 UTC 2020 up 49 days, 5:40, 1 user, load averages: 2.02, 1.43, 1.40

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.