mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-01-12, 08:40   #1
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

5×11×43 Posts
Default how would you distribute the $100k prize?

If you were part of the GIMPS management that made the decision, how would you distribute the $100k prize, assuming that GIMPS wins it?

Here's how I would distribute it:

1. At least $65k goes to the individual or team whose computer finds the 10M+ digit prime.
2. $5k to the person who trial factors it in the first stage (preliminary)*
3. $5k to the person who trial factors it in the second stage (the one that appears on PrimeNet today)*
4. $5k to the last person who has made a scientific breakthrough relating to Mersenne primes**
5. $5k for GIMPS funding
6. $5k to charity
7. $5k to the discoverer of the previous Mersenne prime
8. $5k to the discoverer of the next Mersenne prime (to keep people interested)

*goes to the discoverer if the number was not trial factored, if the person(s) who trial factored the number could not be located within two years, or if the discoverer also trial factored the number
**goes to discoverer if no related breakthrough has occured within the last 5 years

Last fiddled with by ixfd64 on 2006-01-12 at 08:41
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 10:31   #2
BotXXX
 
BotXXX's Avatar
 
Aug 2003
Europe

2·97 Posts
Default

My distribution would look a bit different.

10k for GIMPS funding (running costs etc.)
15k to user whose computer finds the 10M+ digit prime
5k to the 5 previous discoverers of unknown Mersenne primes
5k to the 5 next discoverers of unknown Mersenne primes (put into a deposit at a bank to earn intrest that flows back to GIMPS funding)

Wich leaves 25k left that could be send to several charity projects.

But I am not sure how tax laws are in the US. What taxes have to be paid, how it goes with distributing prize money to foreign countries and their tax offices. And so on.

What I know, this is a great problem with organizing distributed computing projects when money is involved. It looks easy, but all taxlaws just kinda mess things up.

-- edit --
I know I did not include the trial factors. They do a good amount of work, but how can you pick a person out of it that helped the best? The one that trialfactors the most? Would be unfair against people that run prime95 at home to people that run prime95 on workstation farm at work.
Maybe a rondom pick for 5k? Or 5 random picks for 1k each? But then again taxes and so on. In some cases already can take 50% away of the prize.

Last fiddled with by BotXXX on 2006-01-12 at 10:35
BotXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 19:49   #3
thechickenman
 
thechickenman's Avatar
 
Nov 2005
South Carolina

7×11 Posts
Default

Interesting question... I'd do it yet differently;

25k to the discoverer
25k to George for GIMPS funding
25k for equal dividing among the number who discovered primes between 1M and 10M digits.
10k for any breakthroughs. (If none, this goes to the discoverer)
10k especally earmarked to replacing PrimeNet
5k to give away.
thechickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 19:52   #4
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

3·53·73 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64
Here's how I would distribute it:

1. At least $65k goes to the individual or team whose computer finds the 10M+ digit prime.
2. $5k to the person who trial factors it in the first stage (preliminary)*
3. $5k to the person who trial factors it in the second stage (the one that appears on PrimeNet today)*
4. $5k to the last person who has made a scientific breakthrough relating to Mersenne primes**
5. $5k for GIMPS funding
6. $5k to charity
7. $5k to the discoverer of the previous Mersenne prime
8. $5k to the discoverer of the next Mersenne prime (to keep people interested)
...and $0 to the person or persons who spent untold thousands of hours developing the code that made all of it possible. Yeah, that sure seems fair to me...
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 20:04   #5
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2×3,677 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer
...and $0 to the person or persons who spent untold thousands of hours developing the code that made all of it possible. Yeah, that sure seems fair to me...
I view the $25k that is earmarked for charity as my "payment". I've elected to give my reward to charity. I am quite comfortable with that.

I actually started ponder this very question a week ago. When the prize rules were announced 5ish years ago, a 10M test was an extraordinary effort. With GIMPS about to start handing out 10M assignments to all first time testers, should the 10M find really be paid 10 times what the last 5 Mersenne finds will be paid? On the other hand, is it fair to change rules drastically midstream?
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 22:05   #6
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

24×499 Posts
Default

I wish the were no prize at all. It sure would simplify things.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 22:38   #7
drew
 
drew's Avatar
 
Jun 2005

2×191 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95
I view the $25k that is earmarked for charity as my "payment". I've elected to give my reward to charity. I am quite comfortable with that.
That's very noble of you...you'd certainly be entitled to award yourself for all of your efforts.

Quote:
I actually started ponder this very question a week ago. When the prize rules were announced 5ish years ago, a 10M test was an extraordinary effort. With GIMPS about to start handing out 10M assignments to all first time testers, should the 10M find really be paid 10 times what the last 5 Mersenne finds will be paid? On the other hand, is it fair to change rules drastically midstream?
Those earlier tests don't change the fact that the 10 million digit test is the 'bread winner', so to speak. It seems fair to give a disproportionatlely high payout to that particular test.

Having already announced the prize format, though, I don't think it would be prudent to change the rules, now. The next prize would be worth a revisit. If you personally find the non-prize-winning Mersenne primes to be as valuable, it's your perogative to reward them as you see fit.

Drew

Last fiddled with by drew on 2006-01-12 at 22:42
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 23:34   #8
Orgasmic Troll
Cranksta Rap Ayatollah
 
Orgasmic Troll's Avatar
 
Jul 2003

64110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I wish the were no prize at all. It sure would simplify things.
you can just give it to me
Orgasmic Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 00:04   #9
moo
 
moo's Avatar
 
Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts
Default

It would be cool to have 70k go towards like 14 different groups charity and then 10k go to finder then another 15 to the other finders and 5 towards further advancement of gimps.
moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 01:27   #10
jinydu
 
jinydu's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Hopefully Near M48

110110111102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95
With GIMPS about to start handing out 10M assignments to all first time testers
Just for curiousity, Mr. Woltman, how much longer do you think that will take?
jinydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 03:42   #11
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2×3,677 Posts
Default

Some more observant forum readers can probably give you a better estimate. I guess a year.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mfaktc and sub 100k exponents Gordon GPU Computing 1 2016-02-24 04:52
so who got the $25,000 cut of the $100k EFF prize? ixfd64 Lounge 10 2012-09-22 15:55
Why is lanczos hard to distribute? Christenson Factoring 39 2011-04-08 09:44
A new termination below 100k 10metreh Aliquot Sequences 0 2010-03-11 18:24
PRP (Riesel to 100k): Reserve a range axn Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 1 2006-08-01 20:07

All times are UTC. The time now is 22:38.

Thu Mar 4 22:38:28 UTC 2021 up 91 days, 18:49, 0 users, load averages: 1.26, 1.39, 1.44

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.