Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-03-25, 12:23   #67
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
For strong booze here or in La Palma I'm restricted to absinthe. Some of those reach 85% or so, though 60-80% is more typical.

Putting spirits in Coke is anathema. They go to all that trouble to remove the water ...
Not that many years ago, absinthe was re-legalized in the US. It had been outlawed on the grounds that the wormwood in it supposedly rots your brain. I think the consensus became that absinthe didn't rot the brain any more than other distilled spirits.

As to diluting distilled liquor being anathema (They go to all that trouble to remove the water ...), I can only imagine your anguish at the way absinthe is customarily drunk.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-25, 12:45   #68
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

32·11·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I was thinking of the contents of a beer keg generally being under some pressure, and there not being a large enough hole to drop in powder.
You forget that in the UK beer is often sold in a naturally fermented state and does not contain vast amounts of artificially incorporated CO2 forced into solution under pressure.

A very common product has the keg fitted with a bung which must be removed before a tap is inserted into the orifice. fluorescein may be added between those procedures.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-27, 00:24   #69
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,251 Posts
Default I should have known...

Quote:
And -- what about all that corn ethanol that's being cranked out to adulterate our gasoline? Why not divert some of that stuff to medical use, and give our cars a break with some purer gasoline?
Ethanol plants seek rule changes to resupply hand sanitizer
Quote:
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — As hospitals and nursing homes desperately search for hand sanitizer amid the coronavirus outbreak, federal regulators are preventing ethanol producers from providing millions of gallons of alcohol that could be transformed into the germ-killing mixture.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration's roadblock has been frustrating the health care and ethanol industries, which have been calling for a relaxed regulation to deal with the public health care emergency.

"Hand sanitizer is a big part of our lives," said Eric Barber, CEO of Mary Lanning Healthcare, a hospital in Hastings, Nebraska. "We can't get any. We order it and it's just not available."

The problem for the ethanol industry is that most plants make food-grade ethanol, one step below the highest pharmaceutical grade. But since the plants aren't certified to comply with stringent production standards designed to protect quality of medicines, food ingredients and dietary supplements, the FDA doesn't want the alcohol used for a product to be applied to the skin.

In addition, the alcohol is not denatured or mixed with a bitter additive to make it undrinkable. The FDA insists this step is "critical" because of cases of poisoning, sometimes fatal, among young children who have accidentally ingested hand sanitizers.

An FDA spokesman said Thursday that regulators have already seen a rise in poisonings linked to hand sanitizers in recent weeks, "heightening this public concern."
Hey, pencil-pushers! If kids are drinking the stuff that's already being made, I'd say denaturing the alcohol isn't helping anyway...
Old 2020-03-27, 02:02   #70
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

267A16 Posts

Quote:
Ethanol plants seek rule changes to resupply hand sanitizerHey, pencil-pushers! If kids are drinking the stuff that's already being made, I'd say denaturing the alcohol isn't helping anyway...
Ans: Don't confuse us with cogent observations!
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-27, 12:25   #71
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

325110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Ans: Don't confuse us with cogent observations!
I guess it wouldn't be any use pointing out that we're dealing with an emergency then...
Old 2020-03-27, 16:03   #72
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×52×197 Posts

Quote:
I guess it wouldn't be any use pointing out that we're dealing with an emergency then...
That is the point. This seems like a rule that can be bent for the occasion. Sarcasm about the doubts was the intent.
Old 2020-03-27, 16:34   #73
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

32×11×101 Posts

Quote:
That is the point. This seems like a rule that can be bent for the occasion. Sarcasm about the doubts was the intent.
You missed your cue. The correct response was "Sarcastic, moi?" with optional but recommended [Miss_Piggy][/Miss_Piggy] brackets.

Please try to remember: do not miss an opportunity for self-referential humo{,u}r.

[Miss_Piggy]Patronizing, moi?[/Miss_Piggy]
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-27, 17:03   #74
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100110011110102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
You missed your cue. The correct response was "Sarcastic, moi?" with optional but recommended [Miss_Piggy][/Miss_Piggy] brackets.

Please try to remember: do not miss an opportunity for self-referential humo{,u}r.

[Miss_Piggy]Patronizing, moi?[/Miss_Piggy]
I shall attempt to rectify my utterances.
Old 2020-03-27, 18:24   #75
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

CB316 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I assumed "us" referred to the bureaucrats. My response certainly was aimed at them.
Old 2020-03-28, 02:40   #76
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·52·197 Posts

Ah! I misconstrued. Won't be the last time, I fear.
Old 2020-04-04, 18:57   #77
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

11,173 Posts

The Coronavirus Pandemic Has Opened the Curtains on the World’s Next Economic Model | naked capitalism
Quote:
When the wealthiest country in the world is unable to produce basic medical gear to cope with a rampaging pandemic, it is dealing with a strategic vulnerability by depending on multinational supply chains to produce manufactured goods. Absent sufficient redundancies and physical reserves of resources, “just-in-time” lean supply systems can’t cope with sudden disruptions. The global pandemic of 2020 is a case in point.

This pandemic continues to unfold, but it will serve as the D-Day equivalent of a new predominating economic model for the world, and which in many ways was beginning to take shape before COVID-19. At its core, developed and mixed market economies will factor in the health risk and growing military cost of sustaining international supply chains against investing in high-tech production closer to their markets, and increasingly export their goods to the rest of the world.

Dozens of economies that developed in the past 50 years by enmeshing themselves in the international supply chain on the basis of their labor price advantage will find themselves increasingly cut out of the new process. The contest for global power will increasingly pivot to the extraction and refinement of minerals and component materials that are critical to sustaining the high-tech economy model, away from carbon energy resources. We will be hearing much more about “national stockpiling” and “strategic reserves” beyond oil in the months and years ahead.

Not only has COVID-19 exposed potential health risks and costs involved (as globalized trade routes become vectors of contagion), but the champions of the offshoring phenomenon increasingly resort to myths and misconceptions that are irrelevant to a 21st-century economy. They are as obsolete as spending trillions annually on managing the supply and price of Middle East oil, which American foreign policy figures, including Martin Indyk, are beginning to openly say “isn’t worth it.”

Before we get into the details on the future economy, let’s quickly review how the U.S. saw a massive decline in its industrial capacity. Bad ideas and pernicious orthodoxies grew like barnacles over the decades on what was once the world’s leading manufacturer. First was the idea that offshoring is essential to preserving profitability. Often this assertion has been more apparent than real. As far as profitability goes, many companies have made choices to move manufacturing offshore despite continuing domestic profits on home shores. For example, the five North American plants that General Motors (GM) shut down in 2019 were still profitable, but the company, which had received a government bailout in 2009, chose to refocus on the higher-margin operations in China.

Of course, capitalism controlled by bankers and speculators gives free rein to companies to make profits on how they see fit. The consequences are that for decades, Detroit’s “Big Three” automakers have consistently underperformed their German and Japanese counterparts because of their decision to embrace a Wall Street-driven culture that has prioritized short-term quarterly earnings, massive dividend payouts and unprecedented spending on stock repurchases over productive investment in innovation. And as GM’s 2019 experience illustrates, the resultant profits did not go to spur domestic reinvestment, which in turn creates domestic employment, but abroad to expand China’s manufacturing base. GM is but one example of the hundreds of major corporate actors that have denuded the country’s industrial ecosystem, creating gaps in the U.S. workforce and shortages of vital skilled labor.

There are also multiple examples of companies acquiring smaller innovative companies “solely to discontinue the target’s innovation projects and preempt future competition,” according to researchers Colleen Cunningham, from London Business School, and Florian Ederer and Song Ma, both from Yale. A particularly poignant example of these “killer acquisitions,” given today’s ongoing ventilator shortage, is Covidien’s attempted 2012 purchase of California-based Newport Medical Instruments, a smaller competing medical device company that had secured a contract from the federal government in 2010 to produce up to 40,000 mobile ventilators. But as David Dayen of The American Prospect observed, the purported rationale for the acquisition was bogus: It had nothing to do with expanding Covidien’s product base and everything to do with destroying a competitor whose product “could cut into its existing profits.”
Auerbsck omits one key destination of the fatter short-term profit margins resulting from relentless offshoring, labor nd environmentl-lw arbitrage and wage suppression among the rank and file: Those massive share-buyback programs (a practice which was an illegal form of stock price manipulation until the Reagan administration legalized it in 1982), often funded with new long-term debt rather than profits, and whose sole aim is to continue to "juice" the share price, even if comes at the cost of the long-term health of the company, are a, if not the, key compoent in tody's lavish corporate-executive compensation packages. IOW, the incentivization set-up is "greed is good" - thanks, Wall Street!

I'll leave it to fellow readers to discuss whether te rest of Auerback's piece, describing the fabulous new economy he thinks will arise, is either desirable or realistic.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-04-04 at 18:59
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote