mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-03-17, 22:43   #23
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

267A16 Posts
Default The Nation on Bill and Melinda Gates, the Gates Foundation, and self-serving "charity"

https://www.thenation.com/article/so...-philanthropy/

Quote:
Bill Gates Gives to the Rich (Including Himself)
His renowned charitable activities seem to serve mainly private interests, including his own.
By Tim Schwab
Last fall, Netflix premiered a three-part documentary that promises viewers a rare look at the inner life of one of history’s most controversial businessmen. Over three hours, Inside Bill’s Brain shows us a rare emotional side to Bill Gates as he processes the loss of his mother and the death of his estranged best friend and Microsoft cofounder, Paul Allen.

Mostly, though, the film reinforces the image many of us already had of the ambitious technologist, insatiable brainiac, and heroic philanthropist. Inside Bill’s Brain falls into a common trap: attempting to understand the world’s second-richest human by interviewing people in his sphere of financial influence.
In the first episode, director Davis Guggenheim underlines Gates’s expansive intellect by interviewing Bernie Noe, described as a friend of Gates.

“That’s a gift, to read 150 pages an hour,” says Noe. “I’m going to say it’s 90 percent retention. Kind of extraordinary.”
Guggenheim doesn’t tell audiences that Noe is the principal of Lakeside School, a private institution to which the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has given $80 million. The filmmaker also doesn’t mention the extraordinary conflict of interest this presents: The Gateses used their charitable foundation to enrich the private school their children attend, which charges students $35,000 a year.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-03-18 at 01:40
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-18, 19:43   #24
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

11,173 Posts

Tesla factory will stay open as an 'essential business' despite coronavirus order | Autoblog by way of Yahoo.com:

If you're wondering what makes Tesla's automobile factory in Fremont, Calif., "essential," you're not alone. “That’s a good question,” said Alameda County spokesman Ray Kelly, who added, "We're in uncharted waters right now."

And an update just now:

Sheriff's office: Tesla must follow coronavirus order, stop production | Autoblog: But witnesses say the California factory is operating at full capacity

Looks like Musk had no permission to operate despite the order, and was simply flouting the law, as he so often does.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-03-18 at 19:56
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-18, 21:03   #25
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Tesla factory will stay open as an 'essential business' despite coronavirus order | Autoblog by way of Yahoo.com:

If you're wondering what makes Tesla's automobile factory in Fremont, Calif., "essential," you're not alone. “That’s a good question,” said Alameda County spokesman Ray Kelly, who added, "We're in uncharted waters right now."

And an update just now:

Sheriff's office: Tesla must follow coronavirus order, stop production | Autoblog: But witnesses say the California factory is operating at full capacity

Looks like Musk had no permission to operate despite the order, and was simply flouting the law, as he so often does.
Here's the relevant text from the actual order. I don't see the Tesla plant qualifying as an "Essential Business" as defined there. The closest thing I saw was "auto-supply facilities" and "auto-repair facilities." Not close enough!
Quote:
10. Definitions and Exemptions.

a. For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following "Essential Activities." But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care.
i. To engage in activities or perform tasks essential to their health and safety, or to the health and safety of their family or household members (including, but not limited to, pets), such as, by way of example only and without limitation, obtaining medical supplies or medication, visiting a health care professional, or obtaining supplies they need to work from home.

ii. To obtain necessary services or supplies for themselves and their family or household members, or to deliver those services or supplies to others, such as, by way of example only and without limitation, canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products, and products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences.

iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running.

iv. To perform work providing essential products and services at an Essential Business or to otherwise carry out activities specifically permitted in this Order, including Minimum Basic Operations.

v. To care for a family member or pet in another household.
<snip>

f. For the purposes of this Order, "Essential Businesses" means:
i. Healthcare Operations and Essential Infrastructure;

ii. Grocery stores, certified farmers' markets, farm and produce stands, supermarkets, food banks, convenience stores, and other establishments engaged in the retail sale of canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products (such as cleaning and personal care products). This includes stores that sell groceries and also sell other non-grocery products, and products necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences;

iii. Food cultivation, including farming, livestock, and fishing;

iv. Businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals;

v. Newspapers, television, radio, and other media services;

vi. Gas stations and auto-supply, auto-repair, and related facilities;

vii. Banks and related financial institutions;

viii. Hardware stores;

ix. Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences, Essential Activities, and Essential Businesses;

x. Businesses providing mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes;

xi. Educational institutions—including public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities—for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing essential functions, provided that social distancing of six-feet per person is maintained to the greatest extent possible;

xii. Laundromats, drycleaners, and laundry service providers;

xiii. Restaurants and other facilities that prepare and serve food, but only for delivery or carry out. Schools and other entities that typically provide free food services to students or members of the public may continue to do so under this Order on the condition that the food is provided to students or members of the public on a pick-up and take-away basis only. Schools and other entities that provide food services under this exemption shall not permit the food to be eaten at the site where it is provided, or at any other gathering site;

xiv. Businesses that supply products needed for people to work from home;

xv. Businesses that supply other essential businesses with the support or supplies necessary to operate;

xvi. Businesses that ship or deliver groceries, food, goods or services directly to residences;

xvii. Airlines, taxis, and other private transportation providers providing transportation services necessary for Essential Activities and other purposes expressly authorized in this Order;

xviii. Home-based care for seniors, adults, or children;

xix. Residential facilities and shelters for seniors, adults, and children;

xx. Professional services, such as legal or accounting services, when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities;

xxi. Childcare facilities providing services that enable employees exempted in this Order to work as permitted. To the extent possible, childcare facilities must operate under the following mandatory conditions:
1. Childcare must be carried out in stable groups of 12 or fewer ("stable" means that the same 12 or fewer children are in the same group each day).

2. Children shall not change from one group to another.

3. If more than one group of children is cared for at one facility, each group shall be in a separate room. Groups shall not mix with each other.

4. Childcare providers shall remain solely with one group of children.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-03-18 at 21:10 Reason: misstatement
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-18, 21:24   #26
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

1117310 Posts

Yes, to anyone who's not a giga-scamming, law-flouting special-snowflake oligarch, it's quite clear the exceptions in the order are all about keeping existing essential equipment and services running, in the present instance keeping people's cars in operable condition. Running out and buying that new Model Y fresh from the Fremont factory? Not so much. Every other US automaker shut down operations, so it's not like there is "understandable confusion" on the issue, or anything.

It’ll never happen, but lordy, I’d love to see some of the fine officers in the Alameda county sheriff’s office leading Musk off in handcuffs for this blatant act of defiance of a legal order, which is clearly interpretable as reckless endangerment of his workers.
Old 2020-03-18, 23:28   #27
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Yes, to anyone who's not a giga-scamming, law-flouting special-snowflake oligarch, it's quite clear the exceptions in the order are all about keeping existing essential equipment and services running, in the present instance keeping people's cars in operable condition. Running out and buying that new Model Y fresh from the Fremont factory? Not so much. Every other US automaker shut down operations, so it's not like there is "understandable confusion" on the issue, or anything.

It’ll never happen, but lordy, I’d love to see some of the fine officers in the Alameda county sheriff’s office leading Musk off in handcuffs for this blatant act of defiance of a legal order, which is clearly interpretable as reckless endangerment of his workers.
That link to the autoblog provides the perfect excuse to delay shutting down:

Quote:
California's Department of Public Health in a statement said it would issue shutdown guidelines for manufacturing facilities in the days ahead.
I can hear it now: "Oh, we have to wait for the guidelines before shutting down!"

The Sheriff could give a rejoinder like "If you don't shut down your factory right now, you won't get a dime of government bailout money."
Old 2020-03-19, 00:33   #28
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·52·197 Posts

Quote:
I can hear it now: "Oh, we have to wait for the guidelines before shutting down!"

The Sheriff could give a rejoinder like "If you don't shut down your factory right now, you won't get a dime of government bailout money."
".....and you are going to jail, Mr Musk. Put your hands behind your back."

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-03-19 at 00:33 Reason: s
Old 2020-03-19, 22:33   #29
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

11,173 Posts

Musk today doing short-term PR damage control by "offering to make masks" at the Fremont plant. Uh-huh - and each Tesla-made ventilator will feature OTA auto-software-updates and … wait for it, this is the best part … come wrapped in a brand-new Tesla Model Y! (Separate purchase required). See, that Fremont plant really *is* an “essential business” – forcing it to go into minimal-staffing/payroll-only mode would be putting the lives of millions of Californians at grave risk! No wonder TSLA shares bounced hugely today.
Old 2020-03-21, 15:46   #30
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,251 Posts

I see that Bacardi and other distilleries are converting at least some of their capacity to making alcohol for disinfectant.

I commend them for their, uh, spirit, but that's the thing.

In times like these, we need drinking alcohol like never before!

And -- what about all that corn ethanol that's being cranked out to adulterate our gasoline? Why not divert some of that stuff to medical use, and give our cars a break with some purer gasoline?
Old 2020-03-21, 16:27   #31
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

231728 Posts

I started suggesting at work, where we go through cases of hand sanitizer, that we use Everclear, diluted with water and aloe gel.

I would love to see the fuel ethanol boondoggle ended. Producing it has a larger carbon footprint than any gains from adding it to gasoline. It reduces miles-per-gallon as there is less energy content in alcohol than in gasoline. It also seems immoral to be converting food to fuel when there are plenty of hungry people in the world who would eat it.
Old 2020-03-22, 09:31   #32
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

216416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
I started suggesting at work, where we go through cases of hand sanitizer, that we use Everclear, diluted with water and aloe gel.
I would love to see the fuel ethanol boondoggle ended. Producing it has a larger carbon footprint than any gains from adding it to gasoline.
Here in the company we used IPA (isopropyl alcohol) to clean soldering flux and stuff for ages, and recently a new "mixture" of alcohols and soaps was introduced, that comes under the name "proclean 770" or so. It has nothing to do with the famous brand of bathroom and kitchen cleaning liquids, and I am not sure who produces it, but it cleans much better and it is safer. For example, you can use IPA to clean permanent markers, but there will always be a faint mark left behind, and moreover, there are some type of markers that we use to mark on the PCBs, which are freaking resilient to cleaning with alcohols, soaps, and other stuff (they are so designed to resit alcohol cleaning in production line), and for which proclean wipes them out like they were never there. Since we found its "efficiency" we used it for other stupid "applications" (like for example cleaning the whiteboards, which should be forbidden, due to the price of the liquid, and the smell it leaves behind, which may not be very healthy - we do not know - but it works better than the alcohol or water or just dry cotton/brush usually used to clean the whiteboard markers: after you use the brush there are still faint marks left behind, but with proclean, the surface remains perfectly white). Therefore, we sometimes joke about mixing it with some gel and use it for hand sanitizer, but that still remained at the stage of the joke.

About the second part, I use to teach my colleagues for years, how to get free alcohol in Thailand, in case you want to get drunk for free. But nobody ever listens to me, and nobody followed my advice.

The recipe is very simple. Many years ago when I installed LPG engine on my old car, I started using Gasohol-10 instead of premium gasoline, because it was about 10% cheaper. Gasohol-10 (in short, gasohol), for who doesn't know, is a mixture of 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol. Before installing special hardware in my car which would allow the engine to run on LPG, I didn't dare to use gasohol, because, in spite of the fact that it is cheaper and it produces less pollutants, it is also more corrosive (due to content of alcohol, it produces more water vapors, and the fumes are more acidic) and your engine life time is shortened. Or, well.. that is how the "popular" wisdom was going, at the time. But with the new multipoint injection and stuff, the car was running well on almost anything, I could even pee in the reservoir... well.. I didn't try, in spite of repeatedly advices from "friends".

Of course, the efficiency would not be the same for all fuels, but the car would have no trouble running on it, as long as it was running on LPG (which is kinda "weak" fuel).

So, we did experiments with gasohol, with E20, and even with E85 (the numbers are the percent of ethanol in gasoline) and found out that for normal gasohol (10%) you pay 10% less, but your car also runs 10% fewer kilometers, for the same quantity of fuel. No joke!

For example, instead of fueling the car with 7 liters of premium gasoline for $10 and run 100 km with it, you could pay only $9 for 7 liters of gasohol, but you will have the surprise that the car only runs about 90 km with it (the numbers are only for illustrative purpose, now the prices are lower for some time).

So, instead of paying $10 to get 100% gasoline, you pay $9 to get 90% gasoline and 10% alcohol, in exactly the same total amount. It means that you actually get the alcohol for free. There is no expenses for alcohol you buy. With the numbers above, if you decide to spend $90 to buy premium gasoline, you would get 63 liters of pure gasoline. If you decide to spend $90 to buy gasohol, you get 70 liters of mixture from which 63 liters are pure gasoline, and 7 liters are pure alcohol. So, you got the alcohol for free.

Now, not only that you get the alcohol for free, but it does nothing in the mixture either, because your car will run the same distance (900km) with any of the variants.

So, the next step is to buy gasohol, extract the alcohol, use the pure gasoline for the car, dissolve the alcohol 40% with water, and you get whiskey... Piece of cake...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-03-22 at 10:55
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-22, 14:46   #33
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

741910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
So, the next step is to buy gasohol, extract the alcohol, use the pure gasoline for the car, dissolve the alcohol 40% with water, and you get whiskey... Piece of cake...
On "1000 Ways to Die" one enterprising young idiot wanted to get drunk, had no booze,
and had read that there was alcohol in gasoline. So, of course, he drank some.
A moment later he was throwing up violently. He might have been OK, but he did this
by an open campfire........
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote