View Single Post
Old 2018-06-02, 20:29   #2
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
Suppose you took a hundred or so babies at random and gave them optimal living conditions. Among other things, they get a healthy diet, a safe environment, and private tutors. Their life goal is to get a passing grade in a university-level math class such as linear algebra, differential equations, or multivariable calculus. Assume that they are sufficiently motivated and that none of them cheat.

Given those conditions, would more than half of them eventually pass? I think they would, but a lot of people I've talked to disagree.

edit: They are given unlimited attempts and do not have to pass the course by a certain age.
If their life goal is to accomplish this, then I'd say 2/3rds is a safe low estimate for accomplishing it. My assumption is that they're spread out over the planet and have the self confidence to actively seek out people to help them achieve their goal.

One of the problems with advanced subjects is you have students who need 1 on 1 help, but maybe they're in a class of 30 or so. If people can get the 1 on 1 help they need, then the potential to learn skyrockets.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote