Old 2002-10-15, 10:46   #22
Prime Monster

Aug 2002

22×5×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpowers
As for hosting at a university, maybe we could see if curtisc (the highest ranked user on Prime95) would be willing to host it. He is located at Central Missouri State University
Curtisc is willing to host the GIMPS server. I've told him we are still in the early planning stages, so nothing is going to happen right away.

He will need to know what the University would have to provide (bandwidth requirements, a fixed IP address?, reboots?, router support in case of DOS attacks?, etc).

We need to decide if the savings are worth it. A colocation agreement would give us better UPS, support in case of a hardware failure, automatic system backups and restores?, etc.)

No rush on making a decision. Though, I'm sure I've missed some pros and cons that we can debate now.
If he is willing to host the site, then I think we should accept the offer. I believe we could not get a better place and a more dedicated person to take care of it. If we accept the offer with a slightly lower level of service, we can then invest more in the server(s) themselves to compensate for that.

Alf
Prime Monster is offline   Reply With Quote