View Single Post
Old 2014-07-03, 11:28   #954
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts
(If there were some other thread for posting a response to LaurV's post #175, I'd have used it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Why? We can do our own analysis.
Did you deliberately withhold it from posting so that other team members could see it?

Quote:
You are NOT expected to write
I never, ever thought or said that I was "expected" to.

What you seem to be doing here is trying to set up a strawman decoy argument that you posted prematurely without a vote because you were saving me the trouble of completing the analysis, instead of honestly admitting that your actual motive was uncontrollable impatience.

Quote:
You did it for (almost) every move, because you had the time to do it, and because you were able to do it, and we respected this.
Then, why stop respecting it at this time? Why stop respecting it in the middle of analyzing move 34?

Quote:
Many times we (at least speaking in my name, but I am convinced is valid for WMH too) spotted better moves (or what we believed were better) and we kept quiet
That was very foolish, and directly contradicted my wishes and expressions that I posted. Also, see next response.

Quote:
exactly from respect for your work.
At no time did I EVER hint, ask or demand acquiescence to the analysis I posted or to the move I thought best. At all times, the principle was: set forth your best analysis about the move candidates, so that the other team members can see it.

If you deliberately did not post a move you thought was, or even might be, better than one I proposed, then you were acting exactly contrary to my wishes. I repeatedly asked you to check my analysis, and, by extension, that included posting anything you thought might be as good or better. If you ever refrained from doing that because of "respect" for my analysis, than that was DISrespect.

If what you claim now ("Many times we (at least speaking in my name, but I am convinced is valid for WMH too) spotted better moves (or what we believed were better) and we kept quiet") is true, then that was not respect for me or my analysis. That was DISrespect for me or my analysis. If that claim of yours is correct, then I'm quite sad that you concealed that from me.

The worth of any analysis is the team's collective decision about its value on the board, not who conceived or posted the analysis. If your claim of concealment of what might have been better moves is true, then that directly hurt our game and was in no way a sign of respect.

Quote:
it should be clear for everybody
What should be clear for everybody is that you are trying to set up a strawman decoy excuse for your premature move-posting without a vote because, supposedly, you were saving me the trouble of completing the analysis, instead of honestly admitting that your actual motive was uncontrollable impatience.

Please be honest with us about your motive, instead of trying to disguise it as something else, LaurV. You obviously have great difficulty controlling your impatience, and it's not helpful that you try to masquerade that difficulty as something else that you blame on another team member.

Quote:
that you played most of the game,
Those not on our team did not know how often the move we played was first proposed by someone besides me, and were completely unaware of how much influence your advocacy of moves other than the ones I first proposed had on my eventual decision, so how could they possibly be "clear" about the role I played?

Again, it seems that you're trying to set up a strawman decoy in order to avoid admitting that you could not control your impatience.

Quote:
and we are winning the game because of this fact.
If that's so because you or anyone else deliberately withheld questions of move proposals that you thought might have been better than what I posted, then I'm ashamed that you give that credit to me. We could have had more of an advantage than we actually had.

Quote:
I personally didn't see a mistake in posting a move for which no alternative was viable,
Oh? How, exactly, did you decide that "no alternative was viable"? It certainly wasn't because of any vote. It certainly wasn't because I ever said so. It certainly wasn't because you ever posted any analysis proving that no alternative was viable.

Look at the board position prior to 34 Bh3+.

Tell us how, exactly, you decided (without consulting the rest of your team) that 34 Nxe7 and 34 Kf2 and 34 Kh1 were "not viable".

If you actually had done analysis that showed that 34 Nxe7 and 34 Kf2 and 34 Kh1 were not "viable", why did you withhold that analysis from the rest of your team?

Why was it so important to skip the voting procedure on this move?

Quote:
in spite of the fact that you didn't finish your interminable analysis.
We still had four days.

Quote:
Believe it or not, I went through your posts every time for every move. Sometimes I learned interesting things from those posts.
Then, why did you decide not to do that this time (after I had finished my analysis)? How did you know you wouldn't have learned anything (such as that there were other "viable" moves)?

- - -

The arguments you set forth do not hold water. You're trying to use a rhetorical strawman decoy to avoid being honest about your inability to control your impatience.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2014-07-03 at 12:14