View Single Post
Old 2015-01-18, 04:41   #5
davar55

May 2004
New York City

423010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
There, in a nutshell, lies the usual problem with davar55's constructions.

David's Rule #1: Never mind existing definitions.
David's Rule #2: Make up your own definitions (be that "Leyland-beta primes" or "Capitalism" or "Cosmology"). Never mind that they come out poorly thought out (and hence self-contradictory), and in the end define an empty set (or everything).
David's Rule #3: Start making up theories. Never look back at definitions or attempt to fix them and start over (even if getting into a dead-end).
David's Rule #4: When others stop reading at the level of shoddy definitions, argue that they are too lazy to "read the whole thing".
PROFIT!!!
I.e. in this case, an endless supply of troll food. Our best guess is that getting that food is the point of the exercise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Every prime is a "Leyland-beta prime", because p = (p+1)^1 - 1^(p+1)! Hooray!

Anyway, let's redefine XYminusYX prime as a prime p = x^y - y^x, 1 < x < y. (D.Johnson, H.Lifchitz and recently N.Schneider were collecting them for years.)

2^9-9^2 and 2^9+9^2 are both prime.
(a) There's nothing wrong with my "definitions" in cosmology, though I was willing to discuss them with
anyone who offered better ones. I never called anyone here "lazy" for not reading anything of mine.
I did suggest that some here criticized without even reading the monograph. I stand by that.

(b) The explanations I gave re capitalism were never formal definitions, just foundational ideas. The
connection between Capitalism and Freedom is certainly not merely mine.

(c) I did err here in this thread in the beta case,forgetting the special case you cited. Acknowledged.
This happens to me perhaps more than others here (though there have been plenty of errors by others
in presenting puzzles) because (c1) I tend to offer more puzzles than most, and (c2) I'm too often in a
hurry to post when I get a new idea. My bad.

In any case, I was looking for two different representations of a prime p as Leyland-like primes, not
an x,y that produced two different primes (which is a valid additional question, so thanks for an example.)
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote