Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Taking 3400-3600G.

Another one for the book:
"Never knowingly undersieved."

I'm running the above on two cores, 32 bit Windows, 3.15GHz. ETA 1st Jan.

This would be an ideal opportunity for me to try out the 64bit Ubuntu I have installed on my C2Duo.
I don't really want to start learning to speak fluent Linux just yet, but perhaps someone could post instructions here for me to get two instances of sr2sieve running? (Or maybe send me a PM.)
The instructions would need to be very specific. It would defeat the object if the PC was idle for hours while I figure things out.
Well, sr2sieve under Linux, both for 32-bit and 64-bit, is in fact quite identical in almost every way to the Windows version. First, you need to download the latest 64-bit Linux version of sr2sieve, here. Make a directory somewhere in a convenient place for sr2sieve, and extract the file you just downloaded there. Then, download the sieve file from this thread and put it in that folder too.

Now open a terminal window and navigate to your sr2sieve folder using the "cd" command. This is very similar to cd/chdir in DOS; the only difference is that capitalization DOES matter, and that you should use forward slashes instead of backslashes. For example, if sr2sieve is in the directory "sr2sieve" on your desktop, type the following command:
cd /home/username/Desktop/sr2sieve
Replavce "username" with the username that you use to log in (that is, the lowercase, short one, not the full name that Ubuntu also has you enter when setting up).

Once you've gotten to your sr2sieve directory, you can run sr2sieve pretty much the same way you do under Windows. Th eonly difference is that you have to preface the commands with "./" (without quotes). For example, if under Windows you would have executed the following command:
sr2sieve -p 1800e9 -P 2000e9 -i sieve1005-2000-200K-500K.txt
under Linux you would run the following instead:
./sr2sieve -p 1800e9 -P 2000e9 -i sieve1005-2000-200K-500K.txt

If you'd like to run multiple instances, simply do it whichever way you were doing it under Windows. Both the -u method and running from separate folders will work just as well under either operating system.

Hope this helps! Feel free to drop me a PM if you've got any questions.

Max