View Single Post
Old 2005-12-06, 22:05   #9
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS63
Thank you, John. Exactly what I was hoping for: A concise reply. While I have no appreciation of its significance (nor do I need to), I understand the explanation.

RD - I made it perfectly clear that I do not understand how the LL test works and that I was demonstrating my ignorance.

Regarding "starting at each end ... and meeting somewhere in the middle", I know exactly what I mean and so would you if you would "apply a little common sense."

Just for your benefit, RD, if I wanted to test 1234567 for primality I could, for example, use a simple arithmetic test to discover if any integer between 2 and SQRT(1234567) was an exact divisor of 1234567. If I chose to I could increase the speed of my test by running it twice, one test starting at 2 and working upwards, the other starting at SQRT(1234567) and working downwards. "somewhere in the middle" the two would converge.

Now I am NOT suggesting that the LL test works like this. In fact I was at pains to make clear that I have no understanding of how it works.

"We have an initial starting value: L_0 = 4. We are trying to compute a final value: L_n. How do you propose we "start at each end" if we don't even know what the ending value is???" means nothing to me.

"FFT" has no meaning to me beyond the words the letters represent.

Congratulations, RD, for once again pointlessly attacking a self-confessed "Ignorant GIMPSer".
You've got no business asking questions of this nature if your ignorance is
that total.

And my response about starting and ending values was quite clear.
You propose to start at "the end". But "the end" is the OBJECTIVE OF
THE COMPUTATION AND IS UNKNOWN AT THE BEGINNING. This should
be clear even without knowledge of how the algorithm works. Clear that
is to anyone with two working brain cells.

You failed to do even minimal reading of the subject material. Nothing is
quite so irritating to a teacher as a student who asks questions without
having done required homework and preparation. Maybe when you grow up
you will understand this.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote