Thread: White 23
View Single Post
Old 2014-03-13, 14:52   #8
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

34·113 Posts

I don't like this f6 move. What went wrong? We had the game in hand.

I squeeze my brains, what's left of it after a busy day at work, but can't get better that a draw. If they exchange the rooks in f1, they get advantage, maybe win. If we exchange the rooks in f6, we help them develop the king side, and all their pawns are more advanced than ours, so (almost) any exchange of pawns is in their advantage. We can not cover the rook, except with Nf2, Bf3, Bf4, or Ne3 (to make place to the other rook, if they exchange, but this will weaken our queen side). From all these moves, Bf3 is stupid, Nf2/Ne3 is "so and so", all are too defensive. The only move which seems "reasonable" is Bf4. It looks good and aggressive, but... [U]what if they don't move the rook[/U]? This version is very plausible, and if we get greedy and take the rook, it may be worse for us!

24 Bf4 bxc3 25 [U]bxc3[/U] e5 26 dxe5 Nxe5 27 Bxe5 Rxf1 28 Bxf1 Bxe5 29 Bxc4 Bf5 - clearly a draw (if we don't get jinxed and allow them to transform)

if 25 Bxb8 -> .. cxb2 Nxb2 Rxf1 Kxf1 Bxd4, now we must take Nxc4, otherwise we may not be able to stop that pawn from transforming, and they get the Rook back: Bxa1.

All in all, we have no material advantage and the position is spoiled, we go very fast to a draw. What the hack I am missing? It looked so brilliant few moves ago...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-03-13 at 14:57