View Single Post
Old 2010-10-13, 13:47   #7
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts

The odds of prime spreadsheet is very useful, but when the n (or, to a lesser extent, the k) varies greatly, (as is common in CRUS work, or over large areas of any work) it is hard to choose the right average n to get accurate results.
I've made a simple command line Java app that has the same function as the odds of prime spreadsheet, but instead of making you pick the average k and n, it reads each k/n pair and works off of that. It reports relevant numbers for primes and twin primes (not triplet or quadruplet).
It is attached as a .jar, along with the source (it's not commented, and it includes some other code unused here, but I figured better messy source than no source ). Run it without any arguments (or with -h or whatever) to get help on how to use it ("java -jar calcPrimes.jar" will do it).
Note that it is pretty picky with the sieve depth and sieve file. The sieve depth parser is extremely simple: first replace "G" with 9 zeroes and "T" with 12 zeroes, then use Java's Long.parseLong (e.g. 1.5*10^12, 1.5T, and 15M are all invalid, while 1T, 1500G, and 15000000 are valid). And the sieve file must be in NewPGen format ("k n" on each line) with no header of any sort, just the k and n.
This has had very little testing, but I've checked it against the spreadsheet on one file, and the results seems to be accurate.
Attached Files
File Type: zip calcPrimes.zip (4.9 KB, 244 views)
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote