View Single Post
Old 2013-06-17, 02:24   #2
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

110101111112 Posts

As far as I know, you can just run the program and say "Just Stress Testing" or alternatively, pick Torture Test under options.

The distribution of work across the cores should be easy enough. Just choose the same number of threads as you have logical cores on your CPU. Once it's running, check that your CPU is running at 100%. That should suffice.

As for the question of how long is enough, you'll get certain purists who say that 48 hours is minimum, and others who will say that 15 minutes is plenty because you don't want the 48 hours to harm your CPU. What is correct really depends. I run my i5-3570k at 4.6GHz, despite the default being 3.4GHz. When I am watching videos or otherwise internet surfing, Prime95 is running. I only shut if off when I want the absolute snappiest computer (i.e. an intensive 3-D game). During the week, that means almost a solid 120 hours of Prime95.

Is 15 minutes enough? Probably not for any kind of reliability purpose, no. Back when I had 4.8GHz as a target and managed to get it, I would start lowering the voltage a tick at a time just to see how low I could get it. I can't remember exactly, but at something like 1.345V it was running perfectly fine for over an hour, and then at 1.340V about 7 windows services crashed almost immediately, windows Aero kept stopping then starting and stopping, and all my chrome tabs died.

What it comes down to is what you want to do with your processor. If you are doing a two-week (some of the slower processors that still exist today can take 3 months to do a single LL test) job which has ZERO tolerance for hardware errors, you'll want to be certain, and 48 hours is probably good. If you are playing a 3D game, a hardware error is probably going to be completely trivial (one pixel may be rendered in a slightly incorrect shade for one frame).
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote