View Single Post
Old 2010-08-01, 20:42   #1
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

32×103 Posts
Question Seeking Guidance on Prime95 Settings

Hello,

I signed up one of my PCs to contribute to GIMPS, and before the machine gets much deeper into things I'd like to ask a few questions about the Prime95 settings.

Please forgive me if these questions have already been asked a thousand times, but my quick-and-dirty search for answers didn't turn up a lot. I'm hoping that this is the right section to post these questions.

If it helps, the CPU is a Pentium Dual-Core T4200 @2.00 GHz running LL first tests.

1) What are "worker windows," and how do I decide how many to set that value to? Is this setting related in any way to the number of "CPUs to use" (see the next question)?

2) How do I decide what value to enter in "CPUs to use (multithreading")?

3) How can I tell if my machine is using both cores for Prime95?

4) I'm getting an estimated finish time of 108 days. Is that normal/expected?

5) How do I decide how much RAM to allocate for each possible type of work? The default for LL seems to be 8MB. What difference does it make to set that value smaller or bigger (and how much bigger)? Is there a point of diminishing returns, and if so, what is it?

Unfortunately, although there's a menu option for it, there doesn't seem to be an actual "Help" file that might elaborate on these setting choices. If possible, I would welcome guidance of a more general sort (not just specific to that CPU) that would help me to avoid having to come back and pester you all with questions for the next several computers that I add to GIMPS.

Thanks very much for your help.

Rodrigo
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote