View Single Post
Old 2020-04-06, 20:55   #1
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

4,021 Posts
Default Some CADO-NFS Work At Around 175-180 Decimal Digits

This thread will be the new home for some posts from the Comparison of GNFS/SNFS With Quartic (Why not to use SNFS with a Quartic) thread. This new thread (with moved posts) has been created to continue discussion, but move it out of the blog area.

There may be slight overlap, with the possibility of a couple duplicate posts, but all new posts should be made in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
Once the matrix sizes exceed 10M, I think it's pretty important to get off the default matrix density of 70.
If you retained the data, I suggest you explore this by setting the flag target_density=100 in your msieve filtering invocation. I've found positive results (measured by matrix ETA) up to density 120, while the NFS@home solvers often use 130 or even 140.
I think most of the gains come going from 70 to 90 or 100. A pleasant (and possibly more important side effect) is that it's harder to build a matrix with higher density, which acts as a nice measure of whether you have "oversieved enough". Your second msieve run will almost surely build at TD 100, and I bet the matrix will be smaller by 1M dimensions or so. That might only take a day off the matrix ETA, but saving a day for "free" is still worthy!
I should be able to give this a try. I haven't cleaned up anything yet and will be interrupting all the snfs in favor of letting the gnfs run to completion.

BTW, are you working on Improved params for the 165-175 digit range at all?

Last fiddled with by EdH on 2020-04-20 at 16:22 Reason: Add initial explanation of thread creation.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote