View Single Post
Old 2021-07-07, 05:08   #23
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

22×3×5×11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
Does driving a van with a bunch of other hippies from the 70's who took turns driving count?

If so, Whidbey Island, WA to Oklahoma City, Ok. non-stop except for a 1-hour "excursion" at the Mustang Ranch in Reno, Nevada.
Are you sure that the excursion was for only an hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
La Verne seems a bit of a letdown after that much time in the car! (I grew up next door in Claremont)
Yeah, there's not too much to do in La Verne. The only thing I did there which was mildly exciting was a horseback ride in Marshall Canyon.

As far as interesting destinations go, I've heard of people doing a "sunrise to sunset, summit to sea" run. You watch the sunrise at Mt. Evans (the highest paved road in North America), and then try to reach the ocean by car in time for sunset (Long Beach, CA would probably be your best bet, and the distance comes out to just over 1,000 miles). If you do it on or near the longest day of the year, keep your breaks to an absolute minimum, and luck out with traffic, construction, weather, etc., you'll have a decent chance of making it without going more than ~10 mph over the speed limit.

An alternate option would be doing Mt. Evans to Badwater, the lowest point in North America. This one is known as the "heaven to hell" ride and is much easier to do in one stretch during daylight hours only.
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote