View Single Post
Old 2013-12-17, 18:23   #12
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24·613 Posts

Very interesting, and very comprehensive analysis. I had a look to it, my guests are sleeping now. Nice, you invested a lot of work.

I also like 17.d4 better than other discussed moves. As you said before (reveeeengeeee! hehe) "we need to analyze every aspect, to avoid making mistakes". :razz: I was looking to 17...a4 (in fact, I desperately searched some variant which is not in your analysis, hehe). In this case, we can't play too much, queen side is totaly blocked, the only move which makes sense is 18.Ng5 then ...Nf5.

Then what? 19.g4,Nxe3,Nxe3,Bh6 21.h4,Bxg5,hxg5,h6 23.gxh6 Rxh6, and we eliminated almost all pieces from the board hehe... This looks ok for us, I mean it is not a clear win, but it is not a lose either... I believe 17...a4 is their best reply to d4, because it locks the queen side, and on the king side, their king is more protected, our is more open.

Then I was thinking "what if we move a4 first?". We discussed a4 a bit during the former moves, but you forgot it here. I bet they miss it too, this is not easy to see, but remember? "be aggressive!" hehe... Now, if we do 17.a4, they can not beat d3. If they do, 18.axb5 Nxe5 (forced, no place for the horse) 19 Nxe5 Bxe5 and with either Ba7 first, or Rxa5 directly, we have recovered our pawn and have 3 (three!) free pawns on the b/c columns. This is heavy! It will be our game for sure.

Also: 17...bxa4, we still can push 18.d4 - where your all analysis stands right, but this time we are *not* blocked on the queen's side, and they can not defend the pawn in a4 (both black pawns in "a" fall in few moves).

If they force the exchange first: 17.a4 Nxe5 Nxe5 Bxe5 19.axb5 and we open the rook, they can not defend both c4 and a5 pawns, therefore will exchange 19...cxd3 20.Rxa5, and again we have free pawns.

I think this version is better than playing directly d4.

So, my vote will be:
17.a4 - 5 points
17.d4 - 4 points
17.Ng5 - 3 points (this is a very interesting move too!)
other discussed moves except dxc4 - 1 point
17.dxc4 - zero (this looks very bad for me, and also from your analysis)

Please have a look to this "a4" before posting, it seems to have enough potential. If is not convincing, then feel free to post any move, in time [edit: i mean "d4", not "any" move!]. I don't think I will go more into it this time, i.e. nor to analyze it, neither to post it, till after christmas I don't think I will play any chess. I trust you both with any decision you might take.

(p.s.: maybe we can adjourn? everybody will have christmas, or holidays, and it is not fun, at least for me, if I don't see and "feel" what you play. We can say on the public forum that we decided the move and we want the envelope to adjourn, the supermods are our witnesses that we will not change the move after we "voted" it - is that right?)

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2013-12-17 at 18:29