danaj

"Dana Jacobsen"
Feb 2011
Bangkok, TH

32·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Montolio A View Post
Nothing about troll.Well.
I believe PARIGP is also writen on C/assembler. And is made with state of art algorithms.
I dont understand.
As henryzz said, PARI is written in C, but using it through GP involves parsing. It's not bad compared to other interfaces, and far more convenient to write / use. This is often a non-issue, but this particular task involves calling a parsed snippet ("s += log(p)") many, many times. The amount of actual work per call is relatively low.

Parts of PARI are close to state of the art, parts are quite old. Most of the parts I'm familiar with are very good but not state of the art. Factoring, primality testing, prime generation / looping, moebius/totient/etc., partition counting, ... all nice but significantly behind the state of the art. A lot of the functions could be optimized further for small (e.g. 32-bit or 64-bit) integer inputs, but at the expense of more convoluted code.

There is a lot to be said for packaging so much useful stuff that works, is decently fast, available on many platforms, isn't really fiddly like some state of the art stuff can be, and is open source.
danaj is offline   Reply With Quote