View Single Post
Old 2014-07-20, 18:11   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

231058 Posts

Indeed, it seems that the version we discussed still stands. However I had a look to the position again this evening, just to make sure we don't go "in the weeds". I think cheesehead will make a lot of fun of us if we lose, or either if we get a draw :rofl:

Therefore I just tried to make sure we still win it, after I boasted to him that the position is "piece of cake".

I will post Ra7, and let's see what they move. If we make a free pawn there, they will have to give a piece for it, and we are done. There is still a "very small" chance we end up wit a rook against a horse, or bishop, which is kind of draw in the most situations, if they play it well (which I have no doubt they will, [U]if[/U] we get there). In that case we will have to came with the king to the center and try to sustain both sides.

Our strength now is that, after Ra7, Nb3, they can't leave the bishop with the king, due to our bishop. If Bf1, Kf6, Ra6+, if Ke6 then Bc4 Nd2 [B]Rxa5+[/B]. So, the king can't step on line 5. And if the king goes back to f7, then Bc4+ and they lost the knight. So, it is a little forced to be:

37 Ra7 Nb3 38 Bf1 Kf6 39 Ra6+ [B]Kg7[/B], and then we start centralizing our king - it makes no sense to do Bc4 now, due to Nd2, white bishop somewhere, [B]Bb4[/B] and we fail to capture the pawn, we just lose moves. So, 40 Kf2 Bb4.

We [U]can[/U] win this!