View Single Post
Old 2021-09-22, 20:58   #8
LarsNet

Mar 2021

22·11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
Is your interest Mersennes only, primes of some other forms, or factoring too? Those are the three main categories this forum's users work on.

If you're searching for primes, the best bang-for-buck isn't a massive $5k machine; it's a gaming-class machine with fast memory, and if a GPU can be found at reasonable price then the GPU can do perhaps more work than all the cores of the CPU (depending on how nice a GPU one can locate, of course). GPU software is best cut out for Mersenne work, while the CPU can search for Mersennes too, or other primes of smaller size, or yet other projects around here.
To be honest, i spend a lot of my time (right now, it changes from one thing to another, mostly dealing with Mersennes) studying lucas-lehmer and really studying it and finding somewhat faster versions ( nothing worthy of sharing, it's just for gaining personal knowledge in a fun way ), so saying that i'd say Mersennes are my primary driver here, but i've written my own factoring engine ( based on what's out there already ) and am trying to write an nfs or gnfs engine, i just don't understand the math enough yet, so that's my secondary driver.

I do have a speedy Core I7 laptop that i could use for this project, an MSI Creator 17 A10SGS-252 which has :

Creator 17 A10SGS-252
CPU Core i7-10875H; 2.3 - 5.1GHz
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX2080 Super Max-Q

Is that good enough a machine?

BTW, i bought Elementary Number Theory: Primes, Congruences, and Secrets by William Stein to help me understand some of the material regarding nfs/gnfs. If anyone has any other recommendations, i'd love to hear it. (I'm struggling with putting the concept of ideals into code )

Last fiddled with by LarsNet on 2021-09-22 at 21:17
LarsNet is offline   Reply With Quote