View Single Post
Old 2021-09-03, 11:59   #1158
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

137616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
yeah, and move the hole around, as he walks, hehe.

I had a colleague some time ago who was a mechanical engineer and he used to say that the easiest way to drill a hole into something is to take a hole and paste it there (he always said that with the gesture of spitting/licking on a stamp and stick it somewhere). This was long before the "CAD era", and he was so funny, we didn't think at the time that he had some foreseeing powers...
This sort of thing was common in cartoons.

Wile E. Coyote tries to catch Roadrunner by painting a "tunnel entrance" on a rock face with black paint. He then chases Roadrunner toward it. As Wile E. Coyote pulls up short in anticipatory glee, Roadrunner runs on - and disappears into the painted "tunnel entrance." When Wile E. Coyote tries to resume the chase, he hits the painted tunnel entrance on the solid rock face and falls down. Then gets hit by a locomotive coming out of his painted "tunnel entrance."

EDIT: I knew I'd seen a cartoon specifically about the kind of "paste-on holes" you mention. I Googled cartoon character makes holes in walls and there in the hit parade was the title - The Hole Idea. It is a 1955 Looney Tunes cartoon in which Professor Calvin Q. Calculus invents "portable holes," only to have a thief steal them, and then go on a crime spree.

I saw the cartoon on TV when I was very young. I still remembered how the bad guy got his comeuppance.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-09-03 at 13:10
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote