jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

6748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
My career plan had always been to study math in college to at least get a degree (because I was good at math and enjoyed it), but then work as a programmer (because I knew how to program, the pay looked good, and I didn't want to teach). When I graduated I decided that I was interested enough in math to stay active in the field as a hobby. The advantage is I get to do whatever I want, I don't have to teach, I don't have to write grants, and my schedule is infinitely flexible. The downside is that it's harder to force yourself to sit down and really learn technically challenging fields -- it's easier to coast along with the skills I already had.
Wow, sounds nice!

The National Civilian Community Corps with AmeriCorps looks pretty good if I go with a gap year. Cost-free; I'll even be eligible for an award equal to the maximum Pell Grant to throw at my college expenses. The only requirement is to complete a year of full-time work with them, about 1700 hours of service. They'll cover transportation, housing, meals, etc.

https://www.nationalservice.gov/prog...mericorps-nccc

@CRGreathouse: I might be (definitely am) missing something, but I don't really know what you ended up doing after college...

Last fiddled with by jvang on 2018-06-17 at 15:06 Reason: typing is hard
jvang is offline   Reply With Quote