View Single Post
Old 2020-04-29, 00:05   #42
SethTro

"Seth"
Apr 2019

181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Perhaps we should do some threat modeling before evaluating proposed solutions.

What is the current problem? Someone can fake a "no factor" result by manually typing up the result line and submitting to the server.

A simple checksum that can only be generated by the client should prevent that. It should have the property that different exponent/bit level should give unique value. Presumably, the client should have enough safeguards that it can't be tricked into computing the checksum without doing the actual work. This would mean encrypting the checkpoint files written to the disk.

I don't think for the problem as stated, we need proof of work. Provided the server trusts the client, the checksum is basically the client vouching for the work done -- that should be good enough.
I think this is a good line of reasoning.

A suspect some small percent of TF results were never run because manually created NO_FACTOR results including a larger bitrange were submitted (e.g. a NF result for bitrange 1-80). Making that harder (via a checksum for the line even) seems like a good starting place. If you want to do more to verify the calculating (to prevent against overclocking / math errors) we should look at my proof-of-work proposal.
SethTro is online now   Reply With Quote