View Single Post
Old 2021-12-02, 18:25   #101
ValerieVonck

Mar 2004
Belgium

7×112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bur View Post
How to proceed (sieve, LLR, P-1) depends on which method removes candidates faster. For sieving that's a bit hard to determine since it removes an n=10M almost as fast as n=1M while the LLR of the former takes 100 times more.

For P-1 vs LLR it's easy though. Just time how long LLR takes to remove 10 candidates and how long P-1 would take in the same range. I strongly suspect P-1 doesn't make sense. It's only useful for Mersennes because they are so large and have those specially formed factors including the exponent.

Here's how I do it: do a few LLR tests and write down the average time. Then sieve for 1-2 days and see if that removes candidates faster or not. If yes, continue sieving, if not, continue LLR until an LLR test again takes longer to remove a candídate than sieving did.

Thank you for your insights
1. I have retested the primes found by gd_barnes : they are confirmed
2. On my i3 I am sieving the input from gd_barnes to 260T: eta 03/22
3. On my i5 imac I am llr’ing the range 1.3m to 1.4m each candidate takes 733 seconds
4. Sieving on that latest machine I am eliminating a candidate each 500 - 550 seconds
4.1. On a sidenote gd_barnes Saïd to me you are missing factors due to a wrong setting in NewPgen, my file ranges from 1.3m to 50m and I already sieved to 260T … taking this up from the beginning will take also take time
5. I will take a stab at p-1 when my current range is done or will try it on my i7 portable (laptop)

Ftm I am recovering from a mild Covid infection

Kind regards,
Valerie
ValerieVonck is offline   Reply With Quote