Old 2013-12-02, 18:22   #9
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

9,787 Posts

[QUOTE=cheesehead;360879]
Which two pawns would we have to defend?
e5 & ?
[/QUOTE]
Hm... sorry, here I did a typing mistake, I wanted to say Rd8, and not Rc8. In which case, e5 and d3 will be both under attach, and we can not push d4 to connect them (use the one to defend the other) because after (20?)...cxd, (21?) cxd Nf5, we will lose the central pawns.

But this it seems to be a "fortunate" mistake, because with this occasion I had a better look to Rc8. I said "what if?", and you may hit me on the nose if this is not a better version for black! What do we reply to:

16. Nxe5 Nxe5, 17. fxe Bxg2 18 Kxg2 Rc8 ?

The question mark is a mark for the question, and not a mark that the move is bad. This (black) move is good! We have no reply to it... after 19.d4, he beats it (then Bxd4 is bad - after Nc6 we lose the other pawn; and cxd4 is bad too, black gets free column, he can now safely castle, and be on our head with both rooks). After 19. Bf4, then what? 19..g5 and he gives weak pawn for our central pawn. Anyhow, this still needs a lot more thinking, but it seems their move is [U]18.Rc8[/U], and not Rd8, after the exchange in the center. I don't think he can transform on the queen side, no way. But with the white d/e pawns, there it goes our chances to transform too... This will go to a draw. We need something better... But what?

[QUOTE]
16 fxe5

I've gotten lost -- what is Black's best reply to 16 fxe5 ?

not 16 fxe5 Nxe5 17 Bf4 ?

not 16 fxe5 Bxe5 17 Nxe5 Nxe5 18 Bf4 ?[/QUOTE]

We were discussing 16 Nxe5, only. After your remarks (both you and WMH) I tried to see the potential of the move. As explained above, it did not convince me yet, but it is still a lot to analyze, and because no weekends, I may not have time for it.

For 16 fxe5, I think Nxe5 is their best reply. 16...Bxe5 doesn't look so good for black, after 17.Bxc5, he has to put the bishop somewhere, and can't avoid Ne3 (at least! I never liked that horse there :razz:), so we are with all artillery on their head...

So, my pick is still as said in the beginning: 16. fxe5 Nxe5 17.Nxe5 Bxe5 18. Bxc5, then (maybe) Bxg2 19. Kxg2; with this we are much stronger on queen side, we get the open column, we can safely take out the horse in e3, the king is on white (he has black bishop) and can't be immediately attacked, and we have free pawn after the exchange in c/d. If they get out of this path, we will do better, like getting a pawn advantage, etc.

I will go on your hand, if you say 16.Nxe5 is better, you had very good inspiration in the past too, but for now, I still think 16 fxe5 is better.