View Single Post
Old 2010-08-30, 20:01   #2
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts
Lightbulb PRPnet client setup instructions

The PRPnet client is not difficult to set up and use. Those of you familiar with BOINC should get the hang of it quite easily; similar to how BOINC can juggle multiple projects and divvy up CPU time between them, PRPnet does the same with individual servers.

To set up the client:
  • Download the latest client for your operating system from http://pgllr.mine.nu/PRPNet/. (Binaries provided courtesy of PrimeGrid.) Windows clients are 32-bit (since LLR's calculations don't benefit from 64-bit, there's no point in making a 64-bit binary), and Linux is 64-bit (probably because the PrimeGrid people don't have a 32-bit Linux system on hand to make the binaries--let me know if you need one). Binaries are also available for Mac, both Intel and PPC, and even for Playstation 3's if you've got one of those.
  • Extract the zip file to a new folder.
  • Open the file prpclient.ini.
  • Plug in your email address and username near the top of the file. It is recommended that you replace "clientID" with a unique identifier for this particular computer; that way you can trace a particular result back to the computer it came from in the event that you submit a bad result.
  • If you wish to have your participation affiliated with a team (this does not affect individual stats, only the separate team stats), enter the team's name in the appropriate field, right under the client ID. Otherwise, leave it blank and your stats will be counted under team "None" in the team stats. Note: if your team name contains spaces, leave them out when entering it here. For instance, my team "Raiders of the Lost Primes" would be entered as "RaidersOfTheLostPrimes".
  • Below the area where you just put your user information, you'll see a section where you can configure what servers the client gets work from. Here, you can configure the proportions and queue sizes for each individual server. The instructions provided in the prpclient.ini file are rather self-explanatory, so I won't go into detail about that here. Those familiar with BOINC will feel right at home here. Add the following entry to the list of servers:
    TPS12000:100:1:noprimeleftbehind.net:12000
    You may want to keep one or more of the PrimeGrid servers around as backup in case the TPS server goes offline or runs out of work. They should be already configured with "0" in the second field (indicating that they should only be used as backup), but you'll want to check to make sure this is the case; unlike BOINC, PRPnet's resource share numbers must total 100 for all servers. For a list of what kind of work is in each of the PrimeGrid servers, see here. Also, you may want to consider adding servers from the NPLB and CRUS projects as backup too (yeah, I know, shameless plug): see here and here respectively for their currently active servers.
  • Farther down the file, you'll see two options, "startoption" and "stopoption". By default, each time the client is stopped or started, it asks you what to do with any work left in its queue. This can become rather redundant during normal operation, and can be especially annoying on Windows systems where PRPnet will hold up a system shutdown until you answer its prompt. I recommend configuring the client to startoption=2 (complete assigned work units), and either stopoption=2 (return completed workunits, keep incomplete workunits in queue, and shut down) or stopoption=3 (shut down and hold everything in queue, to be picked up where it left off next time you run the program), depending on your preference. Note that stopoption=2 can delay a shutdown a bit if there are a lot of workunits to return, or if you're on dial-up; if this is important in your scenario, I'd recommend using stopoption=3.
  • Once you're satisfied with the configuration, save the file.
  • Now, run prpclient.exe (or ./prpclient from a terminal on Linux). The client will run, fetch its first batch of work from whatever server has the highest work proportion, and start working. When that batch is done, it will return the results and grab a new batch to work on. Et cetera, et cetera, ad infinitum.
  • To stop the client, press Ctrl-C. The client will stop according to your specified stopoption.
That's all there is to it! If some of the prpclient.ini options look confusing, ignore them--they're quite safely set at their defaults. If you've got any questions, feel free to post them in this thread and either I or someone else knowledgeable of PRPnet will answer your question promptly.

Max

Last fiddled with by Oddball on 2011-02-01 at 08:35
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote