Old 2009-11-30, 16:51   #27
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Max, after accidently turning the backup off after unplugging it (in an effort to silence it), I've now restarted all of the GB servers. You might check them to make sure everything's OK. One thing a bit strange that you might check out: For port 3000 that you added since the last time I restarted all the servers, there is no prpserver244 program. I had to run the more usual prpserver program instead.
Okay, looks good. FYI, don't use prpserver244 any more; that was only something temporary that I was using when Mark and I were debugging problems with the server. In fact, that has a few somewhat major bugs in it that are now fixed in the latest version (2.4.6). Fortunately none of those bugs came back to bite us in the short time they were running 2.4.4 just now. I've restarted all the servers with 2.4.6.

Quote:
OK, everyone, here's the scoop: I'm quite disappointed. With my one server machine running full bore on all 4 cores along with other stuff connected that uses virtually no power like a land line phone, router, modem, and fan, it drained ~80% of the battery backup in ~40 mins.

After spending $250 for a top of the line backup, I'm ready to send it back. Ergh! Anyway, the bottom line is that the backup appears to only be good for < 50 mins. I guess to have a longer backup, I'd have to not run the machine full bore.

The good news is that I can only recall 1 (maybe 2) power outages in 3 years of living here that lasted > 30 mins. From my perspective, that is certainly acceptable so I will leave all 4 cores running.

I guess what bothers me the most is that I had hoped to use it to back up 2 or 3 machines running all 4 cores for at least an hour. As it is, it will stay only on the server machine. I suppose that typical backups are not intended for modern machines running 4 cores full blast.
Hmm...yeah, I guess that sounds about right for a UPS of that size. Nonetheless, yes, given the specs I'd read for that model, it seemed like it should have more capacity than that...but then, what do I know about interpreting UPS specs?

BTW, about the status pages and PRPnet that you mentioned a couple posts up: first of all, the status pages do NOT run the email notification. That's the DB. Nontheless, yes, the status pages are the next-best thing to email notification when checking for primes. I'll see if I can get something cooked up within the next day or two. Also, I'll try to figure out why PRPnet's bult-in email notification (which was supposed to hold us over in the interim until we got DB import turned on for G3000) wasn't working.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote