View Single Post
Old 2011-01-25, 23:57   #1
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31·67 Posts
Default Help choosing motherboard please.

Hi
I'm getting together a shopping list to build an i7-2600k box but want to make it reasonably future-proof as far as GPU computing is concerned. If LLR on a GPU is going to be running at multiple-CPU-core speed then I want to have the option of installing a quality GPU to take advantage at a reasonable price.
In the past I have only bought cheap GPUs, even using onboard graphics where possible, so I am a total newbie!

Questions:
1) If I understand the llrCuda thread, the speed is comparable to a single CPU core. Is it now just a matter of tweaking or is there a possibility that speed could improve x-fold in the near future?

Similarly:
2) I've narrowed it down to 3 Gigabyte boards that sound good. From an llrCuda point of view (not-sieving) should I just get the cheapest of these three or would it be wise to pay more?

Gigabyte P67 boards here

Code:
GA-P67A-UD3 £112.73
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
* When the PCIEX1_2 or PCIEX1_3 slot is populated with an expansion card, the PCIEX4 slot will operate at up to x1 mode.
3 x PCI Express x1 slots
(All PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

GA-P67A-UD3P £138.26
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
* The PCIe x1 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX4 slot. When one of the PCIe x1 slots is populated, the PCIEX4 slot will operate at up to x1 mode.
3 x PCI Express x1 slots

GA-P67A-UD4 £153.47
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8) * The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.
3 x PCI Express x1 slots
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote