Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
A number is considered finished, workwise, if it merges, but a termination is better. When looking for a new sequence for Team effort, would a number which has lots of merges be of any more interest, since, if it terminates, it will terminate all the others?
I'm not sure if a sequence with lots of merges carries any more interest to terminate. Obviously, the answer to that question depends on whether you consider a sequence ending in a prime fundamentally different from one ending in a merge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
Would a number that has lots of merges, be any more apt to cycle?
Yes, but of course this is only due to its "branches" meaning that there are more past values to collide with. (e.g. if a sequence is formed from 10 merges averaging a length of 100 before merging, it's like you've got another 1000 indexes to potentially merge/cycle with) I don't know how much more this would, on average, increase the chances of a cycling being discovered, but I'd say it's by a very large proportion. After all, the side sequences (probably) don't just add a few 60+ digit numbers, which are so sparsely-encountered as to practically never coincide, but they (probably) add dozens of small numbers, which are far more likely to coincide with future indexes.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote