View Single Post
Old 2008-08-27, 06:28   #47
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

32×19×59 Posts

There's one thing that I forgot to mention that we should probably do with the double-check drive: Report the ranges that we have searched that are not shown as searched up to n=260K at www.prothsearch.net in the 'List of primes for k < 300' link. That info. would be send to Wilfred Keller.

Here is what you do:

1. Go to http://www.prothsearch.net/riesel2.html.

2. Look and see how far your k's have been previoiusly reported as searched as far as the site is concerned. That range will be in brackets. For instance k=9 shows [200000] meaning that is the highest that anyone has reported the k as having been searched (regardless of how far it has ACTUALLY been searched).

3. If the search range shown is less than 260000, send an Email to Wilfred Keller at [ rz2a010 at rrz.uni-hamburg.de ] telling him that you searched from n=100K-260K and the primes that you confirmed. State your actual name when you do this like is done when you enter an ID for reporting top-5000 primes.

4. Wilfred will then credit you with having searched the range on his 'searched intervals' page at http://www.prothsearch.net/rranges2.html. If this is the first time you've reported ranges there, he will also add your name to the 'List of Contributors' at the bottom of the page. For k=9, he would show you as having searched 200000-260000 because someone else already reported it up to 200000.

There are 3 k's where we have now technically 'extended' the range searched as far as ProthSearch is concerned:

k=9 done by Mini-Geek. ProthSearch shows it at n=200000.
k=17 done by Flatlander. ProthSearch shows it at n=205000.
k=23 done by kar_bon. ProthSearch shows it at n=226600.

Tim, Chris, and Karsten, if the 3 of you can report the n=100K-260K completed ranges to Prof. Keller, that will help us help get that site a little more up to date. Be sure and include the primes that you confirmed in the Email. Thanks.

I reported a number of ranges to Prof. Keller when I did double-checking for RPS and it's a quick and easy process.

Whomever did the original searching on these k's at RPS or elsewhere failed to report their range so it is up to us to bring it a little more up to date since we're double-checking them.

The next k that will be 'extended' with this effort is k=33, which shows a search limit of 250000.

For the Riesel side, Prothsearch only maintains a page for k<300 so there's no need to concern ourselves with k>300.

My thinking on all of this is that EVENTUALLY (albeit a very long time), our threads here, the Primesearch site, the RPS k<300 page [if they ever decide to show it again (lol)], Karsten's/my k<300 page, Karsten's 300<k<2000 page, and the Prothsearch site will all be accurate and synced up and will reflect the ranges that have been actually searched for all k's. A huge undertaking I know but I like to think big.

Thanks,
Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2009-02-10 at 01:56
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote