View Single Post
Old 2008-06-30, 02:48   #19
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

276416 Posts

It's intersting that you guys are talking about global warming and the such here.

I have an actual $50 bet with a business associate that we made 5 months ago that for 3 out of the next 5 years, the avg. global tempurature will be > 0.5 degrees Celsius above the long-term average since 1870. Of course I am wagering that it is above that average.

Last year, there was one of the largest drops in history, which is what inspired our somewhat heated debate. It dropped from 0.8 degrees above the avg. to 0.2 degrees above the avg. He's convinced that's indicative that the 'temporary upward blip' in global tempuratures is over. I told him he's nuts because 5 of the last 6 years before 2007 had been > 0.5 degrees C above the long-term average and that the trend has been strongly upward for nearly 25 years.

He's an ultra-conservative and is completely convinced that global-warming is a myth. I finally told him to put his money where his mouth is and make the bet. He didn't hesitate. Based on what I've heard from several people and in the news, I think I'm already in good shape to take a 1-0 lead this year.

We're using a neutral and official whether-related website to get the avg. global temp. so everything is on the up-and-up. I'd have to dig it up from an old Email if anyone wants to see it. It's quite interesting.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-06-30 at 02:57
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote