Old 2008-03-25, 20:39   #12
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Srfile can write out by k using the -g switch. This is ideal for what we want. You then just do the copy command to copy 3 files at a time into a 3k file for LLRing. There's two extra instances of the header in the file but LLR doesn't care.
Yes, I already knew about the -g switch--I used that option to split the file up into individual files for each k, and then I've been using the -G option to combine three files at a time into one.

Quote:
Obviously you're sorting by k in some manner. However you got it down to 3k files is the way to get it down to 1k files and then combine them with a copy command into one file.

Excel can also be used for sorting small files like this but would take quite a bit longer with 167 or so total 3k files.

This is just for future reference. No need to mess with it now since people will post files of primes at the end of a range. It's how I divided k=300-1001 for n=50K-100K up into 50k chunks for splitting amongst 7 machines.
Hmm. Yeah, I see your point--but, I think that for a team drive such as this, it's better to have the files sorted by n, especially since we're just going to be collecting the primes files. That way, the candidates are distributed throughout the file in a smooth progression of lowest to highest n (rather than going up to 260K, then jumping back down to 100K for the next k, which might confuse less-experienced users), not to mention that we don't have the file loaded with extra messy NewPGen headers.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote