View Single Post
Old 2010-12-11, 08:31   #1
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

7·131 Posts
Default Review of calculus/ODE

Hello, fellow (presumable) mathematics enthusiasts! I am seeking some input. Here is my situation:

I am a college student, but my neither of my majors (Biology and Biochemistry) require a large degree of continued mathematical exposure; however, I will be taking a course next fall that requires Calculus I and II. That following spring I will be taking a class that requires Calc III and recommends Ordinary Differential Equations. I have taken all of these math courses in the past, but it has been several years and I unfortunately did not keep the textbooks. My question is this:

What textbook would you recommend for reviewing Calculus I, II, and III? My requirements are that it not assume I am somehow related to Einstein and/or Newton. I love math, but I must work somewhat more diligently at it than most people who would classes beyond Calc I (which was pretty easy). Texts that assume I can instantly see from step 1 to step 10 every time are frustrating. That being said, I do not want the textbook to be a "watered-down" version of Calculus either as that is boring and not helpful.

I would also like to obtain a textbook for ODE that meets the same criteria (does not have to include PDE, but that is a bonus). Input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Kyle

Edit: The Biochemistry portion (P-Chem 1 and 2) require some mathematical ability, but I am a bit rusty on my knowledge!

Last fiddled with by Primeinator on 2010-12-11 at 08:34
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote