View Single Post
Old 2003-08-23, 23:48   #1
dans

Oct 2002

2110 Posts
Default Diskless client setup?

I have a number of clients that I am running Prime95 on and I would like to move to a headless/diskless/server setup to save on noise (of all things) the power savings will be an additional bonus.

All of my clients are Biostar M7VKQ motherboards wtih PXE on the onboard NIC, in an ideal setup the process would be something like this:
1. DHCP address resolution
2. PXE boot
3. Load OS (Linux or Windows, I'm not picky)
4. Map network share back to server
5. Start the appropriate Mprime client from the server

All of these steps need to take place without any user imput so that recoving from a power outage would be automatic.

I have both Mandrake linux and a Win2k (AS) server running, so I can mix and match tools as needed.

I've been playing around with Thinstation http://sourceforge.net/projects/thinstation/ and have it up and running
but it is only a TS client, so the bits run on the Server, which doesn't suite my needs at all.

In the process of getting Thinstation up and running I've learned a bit about Tftpd and Rom-o-matic which gets me to the point of booting a client from the network, but it still requires a FDD as I haven't had time to setup a PXE server.

So, finally, the question: Has recently setup GIMPS as a headless, diskless, client/server setup? I've found the prior work in the "Prime Monster" setup and a variety of artilces related to SETI but it appears that technology has outstriped some of their solutions and I'd like an easier/simpler implementation.

BTW, should this be posed in the "Hardware" or "Software" forum? :)

Many thanks,
-Dan
dans is offline   Reply With Quote