Old 2020-11-22, 01:09   #87
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

2×5,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
I don't think so, but it might be worth a try -- you should be using workstation??

Try, as per instructions:

dnf grouplist

[snip ... IDK how you remember all that crap :]
Figured 'server' might enable some useful admin options, should they prove necessary later ... thought '+gui' meant install-from-boot-image, a la Ubuntu. Annoying that the installer, since it obviously was running sans net connection, remained silent about that.

Anyhow, above cmd fives errors which again translate to "you gots to be on the interwebs":

CentOs-8 AppStream
Errors during downloading metadata for repsitory 'AppStream'
- Curl error (6): Couldn't resolve hostname for http://mirrorlist.centos.org/,,, etc.

@PhilF: GUI may not be *necessary*, I just find it much easier to do many tasks that way - again, I'm not the type of person who can rote-memorize complex command sequences like PaulU apparently is. There's a reason the GUI was invented, we should not be slaves to it, but same goes to command-line mode. The way I picture things is via the common word "Desktop" to refer to GUI: command-line mode is like trying to do office work with the only usable space being a small rectangle atop one's filing cabinet sufficient to hold 1 or 2 sheets of paper. Everything one *needs* is in said cabinet, sure, but managing multiple tasks which are not all monotasking-mode completable is a nightmare.

Gonna try one more round of boot-from-usb-stick, this time 'workstation' setup and with wifi stick plugged into one of the front-panel USB3 ports. Update tomorrrow, and thx again for all the guidance.

Worst-case, how much hassle it is to configure a wifi stick in cmd-line mode? Ubuntu had no problem finding a suitable driver for the same brand of stick in the install repository, i.e. w/o needing to DL any custom drivers over the (nonexistent, because that's what the wifi stick is for) internet connection.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-11-22 at 01:11
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote