Thread: 64-bit Pari?
View Single Post
Old 2009-03-06, 00:56   #1
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

598510 Posts
Default 64-bit Pari?

I'm setting up a new computer (to all here and on physicsforums who gave advice on making it work, thank you), and I just set up Pari.

My essential question: How do I compile it as a 64-bit program rather than a 32-bit program?

This was my first time compiling it: I had tried earlier in MinGW, but it was painfully difficult and I gave up. Now that I'm running Linux (Xubuntu Hardy Heron) it's much easier, but not trivial.

I first set up MPIR (configure, make, make tuneup, tuneup -f1000000 [and paste results], make clean, make, make check, sudo make install), which worked very well: it auto-detected my CPU/OS combination without trouble. The only hitch was that I needed m4, but I was able to apt-get that.

I then set up Pari (Configure --tune --with-gmp --with-qt, make all, sudo make install) after some trouble (missing libc6-dev, though it didn't tell me that, followed by some bizarre non-replicatable errors). It built and linked to MPIR properly, but treated my Phenom II system like a 32-bit system. I imagine it would be faster if compiled as 64-bit, yes?
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote