View Single Post
Old 2014-02-12, 01:49   #17
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Re: loose positions

[I]Note that in contrast to Black, after 22 Rxf6 we have no undefended or shakily-defended attackable men on our side.[/I] Black could potentially have a strong square at d3 --- [I]but he has no way to get any of his pieces there to be a threat to us [/I](in contrast to our ease of posting knights on d6/f6)!

- - -

BTW, when I wrote post #15, I hadn't yet thought about all the things I discussed in Post #16. If it seems that anything I wrote in #16 contradicts anything in #15 -> disregard that part of #15. #16 is more comprehensive.

Note that when Black tries to scare us by shutting the gate on our rook with Nf5, we'll have [I]three[/I] different men to open the gate by attacking f5: our light-square bishop, our g-pawn, and our remaining knight. Black can't prevent all of those.

We have a powerful position, not a fragile one like Black's. Furthermore, attacking on the king-side, as we are, is more dangerous to Black than his queen-side attack is to us. Now, some of our advantage was given to us by Black with his now-seen-to-be-questionable moves ... b4 and ... Ba6 rather than solely through our own moves, but it is what it is anyway.

- - -

LaurV,

There have been three times earlier in this game when a move you promoted was initially not my favorite, but after looking into it thoroughly I became convinced it was best. So I take your preferences very seriously. Now, I hope to convince you that my recommendation for 22 Rxf6 will be best, if Black does what we expect on moves 20 and 21. Also, it may have shock value when we spring Rxf6 on Black then.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2014-02-12 at 02:45