View Single Post
Old 2010-01-22, 21:12   #6
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Oh! I think I know what's going on. I just tried putting a client (Windows, 3.1.3) of my own on the server, and observed it behaving like this:

-It would ask for work from the server.
-About 9 seconds later, the server would respond with a test.
-Within 3 or 4 seconds, the client would finish the test. (Hey, they're pretty small.)
-The client would send the test back to the server.
-The server would accept it almost momentarily.

Note that 9 seconds is a really long time for the server to respond. I think this has to do with the fact that I loaded the server with an absolutely enormous number of candidates. Methinks it's taking a while for the MySQL server to look in the database and come up with a test. It took about that long when I tried to view the Candidate table manually from the console.

Sometimes, though, normal variation would push the delay over the critical 10 second mark--which means the client's timeout kicks in and it gives up. Hence the problems Mini-Geek was seeing; I think he was getting timeouts a tad more often than me, probably due to small differences in the latency of his internet connection vs. mine.

I'm going to try re-loading the server with a smaller batch of work--say, k=2000-2050 instead of 2000-2200. That should make for a less bloated database and hopefully fix this problem. Note: This means the server will be offline for up to 10 minutes or so.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2010-01-22 at 21:13
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote