View Single Post
Old 2020-07-10, 14:47   #7
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

32378 Posts

I am running everything in this setup on a SSD. I do not know the layout, so just for the sake of argument, I will refer to it as a mechanical. The boot record is in Sector 0. Among everything in that location, there is a descriptor for the file system. In this case, NTFS.

Being NTFS means everything stored in the volume must conform to it, including the subsystem. I have been at this since 1988 and, to my knowledge, two file systems cannot exist inside one volume. Multiple volumes can exist inside a partition, as is the case with the SSD and Windows 10 having two protected recovery volumes along with the boot volume.

The bottom line is that what I am doing works without problems. I was not expecting to be able to do so. I needed a simpler way to manage the files in the mprime folder. As it turned out, I already had it.

Edit: In my OP, I mention how deeply this is buried in the file system. Below is the full path to the mprime folder.

Code:
C:\Users\ndway\AppData\Local\Packages\CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows_79rhkp1fndgsc\LocalState\rootfs\mprime

Last fiddled with by storm5510 on 2020-07-10 at 14:59 Reason: Additional
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote