Old 2020-09-25, 21:11   #1413
MisterBitcoin

"Nuri, the dragon :P"
Jul 2016
Good old Germany

2×7×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
There are many bases with 2 k's remaining at n=300K or 400K. Why do you choose to take two k's only out of a base with so many k's remaining?

You say you will search them until you find a prime. What makes you think you would find a prime on them before you get bored with them? It is very likely that would happen. The chances of you finding a prime on them for n=350K-1M are very remote because of how low-weight they are.

I'll tell you what. Run a single test at n=770K (~65% of the n-range). See how long it takes. Multiply that by the number of tests that you have to get the total CPU time. Then divide that by your number of cores that you will be running on it 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Then report that time back here.

If you can honestly say that you will run all the cores that you reported here in the above calculation full time and you can provide a status report once a month I will reserve them for you.

The biggest problem that CRUS has is people reserving way more work than they realize. We've also had people reserve things "until they find a prime" not realizing how remote that chance is and how long the tests begin to take in rapid fashion.

I will perform those tests over the weekend and report the results on monday.
MisterBitcoin is offline   Reply With Quote