jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

23×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
What do you think about living in a dorm? How will you motivate yourself without your family being close by?
I'll just have to do things. I don't know if I'll need any sort of motivation if I'm aware of the cost of college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
With three Fs you'll need a fantastic ACT and one heck of a great story to get in. Do you have a college counselor to talk to?
I'm at a 34 so far. I have yet to actually study ACT material to prepare for one, and now I don't really know what to work on to get a 36. Where would I find a college counselor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatman View Post
One other consideration is what field(s) you think you might want to get into (e.g., computer science, engineering [and if so, what subset of engineering], biology, art, and so on). That can determine what schools you want to consider more seriously.
Definitely leaning towards computer science, architecture, or one of the mechanical engineering fields. If I decide on engineering/architecture my choices narrow significantly, but just about every university in the state has a computer science program. I'm not really sure how to judge the quality of an individual program at a school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
I somehow managed to get into the U of I with 4 F-type-thingies. I think that's because I had none my senior year of high school, so I was able to play up the "doing better" part in essays.

I never took an ACT, only SAT. I got ~2100 (out of 2400) on the standard one, with 800 and 780 on Math and Physics subject tests.
I guess I'll focus on doing well this year and write something like that. As for the tests, I've only taken the SAT once and it was the year that they changed the scoring system.

If I go to a college in-state I've narrowed my choices to 5 that are worthwhile. University of Arkansas in Fayetteville is our best public school and pretty good all around. The other 4 are Hendrix College, John Brown University, Lyon College, and University of the Ozarks. They're all private and religiously-affiliated, and their curriculums don't seem to stand out, so I think U of A is the best choice. I'll definitely go there for Architecture since we have the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design, which is apparently really good. If I decide on Aerospace Engineering, Auburn University looks really nice; thanks to the Academic Common Market I'll be able to attend at the in-state tuition price, saving me about $20 grand!
jvang is offline   Reply With Quote