Old 2018-04-29, 17:45   #17
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

10001010001012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictordeHolland View Post
How fast/slow is your internet connection?
Nominal rates are 0.8Mbps down, 0.128Mbps up. Current test values are 0.5-0.7 down, 0(fail) to 0.11 up on multiple test sites. http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/
  • Download Speed 0.49 Mbps (61.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Upload Speed 0.11 Mbps (13.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Latency 44 ms

Quote:
Is it cable, fibre or a telephone line? Or wireless?
Buried telco DSL. Equipment hut is 1/2 mile walk away following the roads. Should be capable of much higher speed on such a short loop. Provider claims the loop is near maximum length (which would be multiple miles).

Quote:
Is it unlimited or data capped?
Bandwidth limit is a very effective data cap even when the line is working properly. At these rates, a DVD sized linux download is half a day. Even a browser or prime95 update download is worth putting onto local file server or memory stick for local distribution after downloading once, to save download delay when updating multiple systems. Perhaps a web proxy server would be useful.

Quote:
Do you have any choice of Internet Service Providers (ISP) in your district?
Yes; satellite $50/month and up plus $350 equipment or $10/month lease for 25Mbps, throttled to 150kbps after monthly data quota, rain fade and long latency; maybe terrestrial wireless $35/month and up for 450kbps, $50/month for 2Mbps, to$150 for 6.5Mbps, although terrain in my neighborhood is not favorable for it and nominal rates are low by today's standards https://sql.litewire.net/knowledgeba...yarticle&id=14 ; AT&T wireless $60/month for 12Mbps & 25GB/month cap; Charter cable 60Mbps apparently offered only as $90/month bundle including TV & phone (with a poor corporate history including 4 top executives charged with securities fraud and at least one serving prison time, and assorted lesser "irregularities" on my prior account, totaling hundreds of dollars, including forced costly unwanted bandwidth upgrades by eliminating lower data rate offerings, until on cancellation day those lower performance plans were available, and repeated maneuvers to improperly charge me for my customer-owned cable modem; even falsely turned me over to a debt collector after I didn't "return" the cable modem they never provided; if dealing with Charter, excellent record keeping is recommended; I had kept the purchase receipt for my locally bought modem, and the original installation order stating customer-provided modem, and they repeatedly refused to accept copies offered); current DSL is through Frontier who acquired the territory from Verizon and then converted all email hosting to Yahoo in time for the compromises of literally billions of email accounts to go undetected for multiple years, and advertises high speed DSL but can't deliver it. Have they considered loop extenders to better serve this suburban area developed in the 1970s? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL_loop_extender

Quote:
What do you pay (monthly) for your connection?
Too much. $42 plus numerous taxes, fees, and surcharges totaling about $12 additional, plus required land line service, typ. total bill $75/month.

Quote:
Are you happy with your current provider?
No. Cost, complete lack of interest in providing upgrade to a more normal data rate, advertising data rate upgrades they can't provide, occasional failure to provide dns that works, occasional routing loops, regular workday congestion at their upstream infrastructure, periodic bouts of icmp ping times exceeding 3 seconds at their immediate upstream infrastructure from my dsl modem, ineffective customer service when an issue develops (sometimes their "technical support" need tutoring, sometimes they just can't determine a cause for the problem), ...
Frontier's business model seems to me to be to acquire a service territory built up by someone else (in this case Verizon), and milk it for revenue, at fixed data rate over many years. Definitely shopping for alternatives. This is a sort of bandwidth desert located less than 10 miles from a major research university with an active network research program, and the state capitol building.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2018-04-29 at 18:03
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote