jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

1B316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Consult an expert. You may want to hang on to that money in the account. If you decide to get a more advanced degree, you should be able to draw on the money. (Don't know if your scholarship covers >4 years.) Also, look at all expenses you might have that are not covered by the scholarship, but might be considered to be related to the schooling (transport to and from, food, study materials other than books, fees for online database access, etc.). These little sneaky ones can slowly add up. You might be able to use the 529 to pay for them.

I have some family members that I wish would start some 529's, so I could give them money to put in.
I haven’t really considered college past 4 years, since most engineering programs are bachelor’s degrees. But you make a good point! I don’t think that I meant that we were going to take all of it out (maybe I did ). The scholarship covers 4 years of tuition, room/board, a meal plan, and basically everything else except books. So if I don’t find any book scholarships then that’ll come out of the 529. I’ll look into what else could apply, because it seems that they would love to nickel-and-dime me for a bunch of money ($240 deposit to sign my U of A housing contract?!).
jvang is offline   Reply With Quote